[net.micro.pc] Reference on DOS interrupts

vifl@hou2f.UUCP (M.MEKETON) (10/11/84)

Recently, someone noted that the new DOS 2.1 documentation does not
contain information on the interrupts used by DOS, but the Technical
Reference manual did.  Actually, the Technical Reference only has
information on interrupts for the BIOS, not DOS.

Where can I get a good, detailed description of the DOS interrupts?
I'm especially interested in interrupt 33 (decimal) which has some-
thing to do obtaining information on the disk drives.

Thank you.

Marc S. Meketon
ihnp4!hou2f!vifl

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (10/12/84)

In article <> vifl@hou2f.UUCP (M.MEKETON) writes:

>Recently, someone noted that the new DOS 2.1 documentation does not
>contain information on the interrupts used by DOS, but the Technical
>Reference manual did.  Actually, the Technical Reference only has
>information on interrupts for the BIOS, not DOS.

WRONG!  There is a difference between the Technical Reference and the
DOS Technical Reference. These are two seperate manuals!  You are looking
for part number 1502346, Disk Operating System Technical Reference.
It is mentioned in the Dos 2.10 Manual, page E-13.

We had quite a time finding this manual.  The local PC distributers had
never heard of this manual before we tried to get it.  So don't back off
when the guy at Computer Land says there is no such thing.  It really exists,
and does NOT have a blue cover.

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (10/16/84)

[interrupt here]

> Recently, someone noted that the new DOS 2.1 documentation does not
> contain information on the interrupts used by DOS, but the Technical
> Reference manual did.  Actually, the Technical Reference only has
> information on interrupts for the BIOS, not DOS.
> Where can I get a good, detailed description of the DOS interrupts?
> I'm especially interested in interrupt 33 (decimal) which has some-
> thing to do obtaining information on the disk drives.
> Marc S. Meketon
> ihnp4!hou2f!vifl

Yeah - that bugs me too.  The DOS 2.0 manual DOES have the desired
info, but not always clear or correct info.  A few books on the market
have SOME of the info, but the ones I've seen do NOT have all of it and
DO NOT tabulate it in one place for reference.  An example is `Assembly
Language Primer for the IBM PC & XT' by the Waite Group.  Their
explanations are at least clear, but the book is suitable as a tutorial
and NOT as a reference, at least for me, because of the incompleteness
and the difficulty of finding what *is* there.  I am told that IBM does
publish a DOS technical reference manual for 2.1 containing the info
you (and I) want.  In fact, I plan to buy one soon.

--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)