[net.micro.pc] Professional Debug Facility

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (10/26/84)

From:  Info-IBMPC Digest <Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

From: Jim Gillogly <jim@rand-unix>
Date: 21 Oct 84 11:42:40 PDT (Sun)
To: Info-IBMPC Digest <Info-IBMPC@usc-isib.ARPA>
Subject: Professional Debug Facility

Paul Weiss asked for info on the Professional Debug Facility (part no.
6024143), announced recently by IBM.  Here's an excerpt from their Aug 84
announcement:
-------
Professional Debug Facility consists of two utilities and a hardware card:

o  Resident Debug Tool (RDT) is interactive full-screen debug facility; traces
   and disassembles code inaccessible to DOS DEBUG.  Can be loaded
   into memory and run from keyboard or batch file, or run by pushing a
   button on the card.

o  Disk repair: full-screen access to the whole disk (DOS-formatted fixed
   disks and floppies), r/w any byte in hex or ascii.

o  Non-maskable Interrupt Card lets user gain control of a hung program.
   Plugs into IBM PC, XT, or Portable (doesn't specify AT, although the AT
   was announced the same day).

There's a good deal more info on the data sheet, but I'll save that unless
you need it.  It's dated August 1984, but delivery date is not specified.
I don't know if it's available yet.

	Jim Gillogly
	jim@rand-unix
	{vortex, decvax}!randvax!jim
-------

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (10/26/84)

From:  Info-IBMPC Digest <Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Date: Sun 21 Oct 84 16:21:08-PDT
From: Doug <Faunt%hplabs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To: Info-IBMPC%usc-isib.arpa

The Professional Debug facility is two pieces: a card which allows you to do
an NMI interrupt when you push a button, and a debugger which stays resident
The word I get (I haven't used it myself) is that the debugger is quite
good, especially as compared with the standard DEBUG thing. Sounds like
it might be worthwhile.
-------

-------