[net.micro.pc] Printers for DisplayWrite 2

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (10/26/84)

From:  Info-IBMPC Digest <Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Date: 22 Oct 1984 11:11:37 PDT
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
From: burhans@ecld@usc-eclb.arpa
Subject: Printers for DisplayWrite 2

I have two IBM PCs in my word-processing department. We are using IBMs
DisplayWrite 2 wp software. I am currently looking for a printer
that will serve our WP needs. Two problems arise: first, DW2 will
only officially support 4 printers (the IBM/Epson dot matrix/graphics, the
IBM 5218 and the NEC 3550) and second, we have some very specific printer
features that we must have.

There IS a third party vendor who sells a printer driver to make DW2
work with the Diablo 630, Qume, Toshiba, Canon AP500 and NEX 7700 series and
HP LaserJet printers, so that helps. We have a (fairly) high volume of output
per month (~6,000) and need to print on 8.5x11, legal-size, memo-size paper
and envelopes. We also have some need to print on 8.5x11 landscape, that
is, 11x8.5. We must have a dual bin sheet feeder and those bins should
be adjustable to the various sizes of paper that we need to print on. We
also need an envelope feeder.

We already have a Diablo 630 but it is too slow and doesn't have some of
the more elaborate paper-handling features. While we intend to keep it (and
are waiting eagerly for our printer driver) we need to get another printer
to keep up with the output volume. We have been reluctant to purchase the
IBM 5218 because it is so expensive and have been looking for other alter-
natives. One proposed alternative, the HP LaserJet turned out to be dis-
appointing because of the limited fonts and paper-handling features.

I finally went out to an IBM Product Center and saw a real live 5218
printer. The 5218 is the DisplayWriter stand-alone word processor
printer that has been adapted to work with the PC. With the sheet feeder
it would cost about $6000 list. It is an amazing printer. It is huge--
appox. 30 x 25 x 20 and fast (well, 60cps but it looks a lot faster
than my Diablo at 35). It has a sheet feeder with two adjustable bins
and and envelope feeder. It uses a daisy wheel cartridge and a huge
ribbon and has enough control LEDs and membrane keys to keep you amused
for at least 15 minutes. In order to use this printer I would need to
purchase a Printer Convenience kit ($220 per PC) and a Printer Sharing
kit ($275) to be able to attach both PCs.

It looks like this printer will suit my needs but a couple of things
concern me: 1) the price and 2) if I buy this printer then it looks
like I am stuck with the DW2 software. I like the DW2 software, but
frankly, there are some areas in which it lacks and I like having
the option of switching software if it doesn't come up to speed.
$300 is not going to upset my department--$6000 may. I am
somewhat hopeful that IBM will support more printers with DW2 or that
I can purchase a 3rd party printer-driver; I am much less hopeful that
other software will start supporting the 5218.

If anyone has had any experience with the 5218, I would appreciate any
comments or warnings you may have. If anyone knows of any other printers
that might be suitable for this application, I would *greatly* appreciate
any suggestions. You can send replys to: BURHANS@ECLD@USC-ECLB.ARPA;
Thanks in advance.

[Take a look at the Diablo 80IF. 80cps, dual bin, 200 characters on
the print wheel, and 630ecs code compatible. $3495 list.   Editor]
-------
-------