[net.micro.pc] New IBM Printers

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (10/26/84)

From:  Info-IBMPC Digest <Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Date: 25 Oct 1984 12:28:33 PDT
Subject: New IBM Printers
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

IBM has released several new printers/typewriters. An edited text of
this announcement is in <INFO-IBMPC>PRINTERS.IBM. There have been some
queries in INFO-IBMPC regarding printer support by IBM DisplayWrite software;
these printers are supported.

The cheaper model is a 25 cps daisy wheel impact printer. It is similar to
a Diablo. It has a keyboard option (or rather the typwriter has a printer
option) and appears to be the new standard IBM typewriter. The fancy model
of this typewriter has a 7000 word (whatever a word is) memory and even
a spelling checker!

The more expensive model is called "QuietWriter". This device runs at 40 to
60 cps depending on mode. I couldn't figure out how the thing works, but
it uses a ribbon and makes no noise. The output quality rivals laser printers.
One changes fonts by inserting ROM cartridges. Two ROM font cartridges can
be resident at one time. I understand there is a ROM that has the IBM-PC
extended character set.

While IBM has published a long list of software they claim is compatible
with these printers, I don't know if any of these programs take advantage
of the many features such as proportional spacing, boldface, and enlarged
characters.
-------
-------