[net.micro.pc] STOP! Save alot of money / Amway cut

gnu@sun.uucp (John Gilmore) (11/22/84)

Sorry, didn't mean to run down Amway -- I once attended one of their
seminars and added up the profit margins and it looks like a reasonable
business.  If you are an Amway dealer you get a cut on anything you sell,
plus a smaller cut on anything that people-you-introduced-to-amway sell.
The way to get rich is to make all your friends Amway dealers and let them
do the work.  That sounded like what the color card message was trying
to do -- "don't buy from the manufacturer, buy from me".

I have no complaint with Amway's products or sales techniques.  (It was
interesting to note however that THEY are sensitive about it -- e.g.
the 2-hour seminar I went to never even mentioned the name "Amway" til very
close to the end, for fear you would walk out early.)

jimb@amd.UUCP (Jim Budler) (11/25/84)

In article <> gnu@sun.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Sorry, didn't mean to run down Amway -- I once attended one of their
>seminars and added up the profit margins and it looks like a reasonable
>business.  If you are an Amway dealer you get a cut on anything you sell,
>plus a smaller cut on anything that people-you-introduced-to-amway sell.
>The way to get rich is to make all your friends Amway dealers and let them
>do the work.  That sounded like what the color card message was trying
>to do -- "don't buy from the manufacturer, buy from me".
>
>I have no complaint with Amway's products or sales techniques.  (It was
>interesting to note however that THEY are sensitive about it -- e.g.
>the 2-hour seminar I went to never even mentioned the name "Amway" til very
>close to the end, for fear you would walk out early.)

It is a good business, you can make money at it, BUT you will earn
every penny of it.  There are a couple of things they de-emphasize,
such as the fact that you only get a percentage of the sales of
people you bring into the fold as long as they remain in the
catagory below you.  Any real whiz-bang of a salesman you bring in,
who exceedes your gross, also pulls his percentage back out of your
pocket.

I don't say this to put Amway down, if I was the whiz-bang I
wouldn't want a percentage of my work going to someone whose
contribution was only to introduce me.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.