[net.micro.pc] Enhanced Graphics Adapter report

joel@rochester.UUCP (12/07/84)

From: Joel Seiferas  <joel>

     Thanks to STB, my problem with the IBM Enhanced Graphics Adapter
is solved, and my system now passes diagnostics with flying colors.
The problem was with the STB SUPER RIO board that holds 576 of my 640
kilobytes of main memory.  Although I had installed no memory in any of
the reserved regions (above A0000), the board apparently was responding
in some way to memory requests up there.  STB promptly sent me a couple
of prospective replacements for their memory mapping chip, one ignoring
the 64K starting at A0000, and the other ignoring this bank and also
the ones starting at D0000 and E0000.  Being in no mood to experiment,
I chose the latter to try, and it solved the problem.

     One conclusion worth noting is that the ROM BIOS chip dated
exactly "10/27/82  x" does work fine with the EGA.

     So far, I have run into no problems with the compatibility of the
EGA; but I have not tried anything exotic.  (IBM's LOGO seems okay.)

     The EGA includes almost 16K of new ROM code, starting at address
C0000.  For hints on how to use this ROM, one could disassemble the
8692 bytes of diagnostics code in US1ADG2.DGS, on the diagnostics
diskette (version 2.07).  If anyone does this, please post the results!
For a start, I'd expect at least to be able to switch to and use the
43-line mode on the monochrome display, at least while in DOS.

     An unusually timely report on the EGA can be found in the current
issue (12/25/84) of PC Magazine, starting on page 171.  In addition to
kind sympathy, a few interesting technical tidbits were included in the
messages I have received since I asked for help.  I'll attach some of
these messages to the end of this report.

                                  Joel Seiferas

ee161abt@sdcc13.UUCP ({|stu) (12/09/84)

> > There is no way to get 9x14 text until the Enhanced Color
> > display 5154 is available ....

Could anyone tell me if the Princeton SR-12 is the same as the
Enhnaced Color Display.  Spec's: 31.25 KHz, 690 X 480 non-interlaced,
lists for $799, and it sure looks like the one IBM sells.