[net.micro.pc] Kermit

G.DACRUZ@SU-SCORE.ARPA (06/17/83)

From:  Frank da Cruz <G.DACRUZ@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

- Yes, there is a problem with PC KERMIT receiving binary files, such as
  PC DOS .EXE files.  It can send them, but not receive them.  This
  problem was introduced when the XT/2.0 support code was added (i.e.
  just before PC KERMIT was made available on the net).  A fix will be
  available soon.

- I have it from a Compaq owner that IBM PC KERMIT (at least the pre-XT
  version, no word on the present version) works just fine on the Compaq,
  with no modification.

- If someone could tell me exactly what a TAC does to the data going through
  it, we could see what (if anything) could be done to make KERMIT work
  through a TAC.  Does it transmogrify characters?  Insert NULs or DELs as
  idle characters at random.  Add, change, or strip parity?  Insist upon
  XON/XOFF?  Escape upon some printable character like "@" (didn't the TIP
  use to do that?  or was it TELENET?)?  What settings can you make at the
  TAC with regard to parity, escape character, padding, echoing, etc?
  Anybody want to send me (or point me at an on-line) TAC manual?

- Frank da Cruz (Columbia U.)
-------

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (02/24/85)

> Some people have requested where to get communication software such
> a Kermit and RBBS, so I though I would put in my two cents.  First:
> > From maciag@spar.UUCP (Chris Maciag)
> > Where can I get kermit for an IBM XT?  Also, will kermit work through
> > the Sytek Net?

	Yes KERMIT can work over a SYTEK net (Localnet 20). Some problems
though. One thing that I have found to be reliable is to set all packet
sizes to 80 characters. This is especially true of the new C-Kermit and VMS
KERMIT. For MS-DOS KERMIT, receive and send packet sizes are set
individually. I also tell the C-Kermit side that I want file type binary.
If I am sending a 7-bit file the eighth bit does not get set anyway. This
setup has worked transferring a file from a UNIX machine (in server mode)
using telnet to another UNIX machine (a VAX) through a SYTEK connection to a
line driver connected to a VMS vax running "vaxnet" who in turn passed
everything to an IBM-PC AT. The transfer was a wildcard transfer of eight
bit files without quoting in both directions at 9600 baud (slowest
connection, and gave NO errors. Hats off to the KERMIT crew!