[net.micro.pc] Character color & C compilers

gold@aecom.UUCP (Yosef Gold) (04/15/85)

	Is there a way from C (right now Lattice 2) to change the color
attribute of the characters being printed.  I can't find any DOS calls to
do this.  The only ways I can think of are
	1) send all i/o through a procedure which calls the dos call
	   which lets you specify the attribures.
	2) write a procedure to intercept all screen i/o and add color
one is not really good because i would like to use printf.
two is a big pain.

any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone know anything about Wizard or the new Microsoft C.
How Unix compatible are they?  How are the MS-DOS interfaces?
speed?  size?  Do they support large memory models?

					thanks in advance.
						Yosef Gold
--
Yosef Gold
...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!gold

brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) (04/16/85)

In article <1372@aecom.UUCP> gold@aecom.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone know anything about Wizard or the new Microsoft C.
>How Unix compatible are they?  How are the MS-DOS interfaces?
>speed?  size?  Do they support large memory models?

I don't know anything about the Microsoft C, but here are some comments
about Wizard C.  Wizard C is probably the best C compiler available for
the MS-DOS environment.  It is a Unix System III equivalent compiler
(meaning it supports struct assignment/parameter passing, enums, and
void) with a System III equivalent library and interfaces to all of the
MS-DOS and IBM PC BIOS function calls.  It runs about as fast as Lattice
C, and it is a little smaller.  Wizard C supports small code/data, large
code/data, and large code/small data models on the 8086.  Wizard C can
also optionally generate code for 80186 and 80286 processors.  Wizard
also supports embedded assembler, and it will translate variable names
in the assembler into the proper name or stack offset.  Last but not least,
Wizard has the best diagnostics embedded into its compiler that I have
*ever* seen on *any* compiler, bar none.  Wizard C will diagnose
statements like

	if (a = b)

as being possibly incorrect (might be 'if (a == b)').  If you want it
to be quiet about that, then simply code it as 'if ((a = b) != 0)'.

Wizard also supplies LINT and sources to all of the libraries with their
compiler.  Something that Wizard advertises, but that I have not tested,
is a pascal-compatible calling sequence, so that you can call C from
Pascal, or vice versa.

Wizard also has extraordinary support.  They offer a maintenance contract
for $100/yr, which entitles you to updates as they appear.  So far, we
have recieved updates every month.

Wizard C costs $495, and is available from:

Wizard Systems Software
11 Willow Court
Arlington, MA 02174

I have no connection with Wizard Systems Software except as a satisfied
customer.