[net.micro.pc] Xenix multiuser restriction

kcsmith@utcsri.UUCP (K.C. Smith) (03/28/85)

*** REPLACE THIS MESS WITH YOUR LINEAGE ***

We are considering the purchase of a PC/AT for a small number of users.
I understand a restriction of Xenix exists which limits the number of
simultaneous users to three.  Is this real?

Please mail replies to:
Prof. K.C. Smith
{cornell,ihnp4,allegra,uw-beaver,decvax!utzoo}!utcsri!kcsmith
CSNET: kcsmith@toronto		ARPA: kcsmith%Toronto@CSNet-Relay

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (03/30/85)

Whether there is a software restriction is a matter on which I cannot
comment (I don't know) but given that "officially" the AT only
supports 2 serial ports plus the main console, one reason for
a limit of "3" is clear.

--Lauren--

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (04/03/85)

     Does Xenix on the AT run in 286 native mode or in 8086 emulation?
In other words, is the memory protection hardware being used?  If not,
is there an AT UNIX port that uses the machine properly?

					John Nagle

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (04/08/85)

>     Does Xenix on the AT run in 286 native mode or in 8086 emulation?
>In other words, is the memory protection hardware being used?  If not,
>is there an AT UNIX port that uses the machine properly?
>
>					John Nagle

I believe Xenix on the AT is running in 286 native mode.  When I boot
the system, it says "XENIX 286 boot".  Of course, that is just from
my memory from when I used it.
					Beth Katz

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (04/10/85)

In article <135@gymble.UUCP> beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) writes:
>>     Does Xenix on the AT run in 286 native mode or in 8086 emulation?
>>In other words, is the memory protection hardware being used?  If not,
>>is there an AT UNIX port that uses the machine properly?
>>
>>					John Nagle
>
>I believe Xenix on the AT is running in 286 native mode.  When I boot
>the system, it says "XENIX 286 boot".  Of course, that is just from
>my memory from when I used it.
>					Beth Katz

Yes indeedy, XENIX on an AT runs in 286 native mode.  You do get memory
management/protection.  PC/IX on an AT runs in 8086 emulation mode and
has no memory management/protection (just like on an XT).
--
Chris Lewis, Motorola New Enterprises
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!utcs!mnetor!clewis

jbn@wdl1.UUCP (04/16/85)

     Yes, indeed, Xenix on the AT runs in protected mode.  As Dr. Dobbs's
Journal says ``throw away your hand-coded screen management routines''.
Applications aren't allowed to mess with the hardware or screen memory.
Graphics?  What graphics?  This is UNIX.  You can position the cursor
by sending escape sequences, and that's about it.

					John Nagle

root@wlcrjs.UUCP (Randy Suess) (04/19/85)

In article <373@wdl1.UUCP> jbn@wdl1.UUCP writes:

>     Yes, indeed, Xenix on the AT runs in protected mode.  As Dr. Dobbs's
>Journal says ``throw away your hand-coded screen management routines''.
>Applications aren't allowed to mess with the hardware or screen memory.
>Graphics?  What graphics?  This is UNIX.  You can position the cursor
>by sending escape sequences, and that's about it.

	Funny..  The AT&T 7300 has pretty decent graphics for cursor addressing!
	Also, plot, and a bunch of other graphics routines on my Venix system
	do pretty good, and not a "ESC=rc" in the bunch..

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart ..
Randy Suess