[net.micro.pc] hard disks for AT

eidetic@islenet.UUCP (George E. Darby) (04/15/85)

To all AT users with non-IBM/CMI 20 Mb hard disks:

What are your experiences with 3d party hard disks,
esp. Emerald, I-squared (Interface Inc), Microscience,
etc.

What size?  Ambient Noise Level? Bad Sectors?
AT controller board compatible?

Please post to net, as there is rabid interest in
this topic, I do believe.

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (04/19/85)

Two weeks of Xenix and I am already overflowing my 20 meg disk (which by
the way has given me NO problems since November...now the floppies are a
different story).  I need at LEAST another 30 meg, preferably more.

Does anybody have any information about adding really high capacity disks
to an AT?  Prices?  Vendors?  Pitfalls?  My dream would be to put another
100 on it.  I have to be able to partition it so that at least 15 meg goes
to PC-DOS.

Thanks loads
--
liz sommers
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers

dan@digi-g.UUCP (Dan Messinger) (04/26/85)

In article <1057@islenet.UUCP> eidetic@islenet.UUCP (George E. Darby) writes:

>What are your experiences with 3d party hard disks,
>esp. Emerald, I-squared (Interface Inc), Microscience,
>etc.
>What size?  Ambient Noise Level? Bad Sectors?
>AT controller board compatible?

We have added an Atasi drive to our AT.  Other than the manual lacking
a few small but important details, (which a phone call to Atasi filled
in) the intallation is quite simple.  It slides right into the AT drive
slot, and plugs into the AT disk controller.  It may be used as either
the first or second drive.

The drive capacity is 42Mbytes.  To work with DOS, the drive must be
split into two partitions (minor annoyance).  It is compatable enough
with the AT's drives that the boot ROM can access the first partition,
and boot from it.  From there, an installable driver is loaded so the
entire drive is accessable.

The performance is slightly better than the drives that IBM provide
(using simple file copies as a test).  Our drive had only one bad
spot, but thats only one drive, and we may have just been lucky.

Other than the manual, I have no complaints.  Atasi says a new manual
is in the works.

Dan Messinger
DSC
ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!dan