[net.micro.pc] Epsilon ?

friedman@topaz.ARPA (echo "Hello") (04/25/85)

Is Epsilon for the IBM-PC Public domain ?
I heared of a version (1.3 something) that is supposed
to be public domain, but I also heared a version was for
sale...

                          -Gadi
                                topaz!friedman
                               friedman@Ru-Topaz.Arpa

whm@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (William Maddox) (04/26/85)

Epsilon (tm) is a copyrighted product of Lugaru Software Ltd.
No version of Epsilon is or has ever been in the public domain.
For more information on Epsilon, contact Lugaru at (412) 621-5911.

Bill Maddox
{seismo, decwrl, ucbvax}!whm@cmu-cs-spice.arpa

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (05/01/85)

Definitely not P.D.  It is sold by Lugaru software.  It's
an excellent product, too.

--Lauren--

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/03/85)

> Is Epsilon for the IBM-PC Public domain ?
> I heared of a version (1.3 something) that is supposed
> to be public domain, but I also heared a version was for
> sale...
>
>                           -Gadi
>                                 topaz!friedman
>                                friedman@Ru-Topaz.Arpa

I am using Epsilon 2.0.  It works very well, but the claim that it will
run compiles in a shell is nonsense.  In fact, I don't know why someone
at Lugaru claimed that it would, when PC-DOS just doesn't the ability.

whm@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (William Maddox) (05/05/85)

Clayton Cramer writes:

>I am using Epsilon 2.0.  It works very well, but the claim that it will
>run compiles in a shell is nonsense.  In fact, I don't know why someone
>at Lugaru claimed that it would, when PC-DOS just doesn't the ability.

This is not correct.  Epsilon DOES allow compiling or shell interaction in
a window, similar to many EMACS-like editors for Unix(tm).  It is true that
PC-DOS does not support multitasking.  As a result, Epsilon itself must
simulate the missing functionality, intercepting the PC-DOS interrupts and
multiplexing the CPU between Epsilon and the shell, etc.  This only works
for "well-behaved" programs which do not similarly preempt the interrupt
vector, or write directly to the screen memory, but the shell and most
compilers, linkers, simple file utilities, etc. will work.

[BTW: No version of Epsilon is in the public domain.  Epsilon is a copyrighted
product of Lugaru Software Limited.]

William Maddox
{seismo, decwrl, ucbvax}!whm@cmu-cs-spice.arpa

knight@nmtvax.UUCP (05/07/85)

>I am using Epsilon 2.0.  It works very well, but the claim that it will
>run compiles in a shell is nonsense.  In fact, I don't know why someone
>at Lugaru claimed that it would, when PC-DOS just doesn't the ability.

Hmmm, I must be living in a dreamworld.  I use Epsilon all the time, and it
sure seems to me that I run compiles an awful lot in a window, look at the
results, etc.

Bob

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/12/85)

> Clayton Cramer writes:
>
> >I am using Epsilon 2.0.  It works very well, but the claim that it will
> >run compiles in a shell is nonsense.  In fact, I don't know why someone
> >at Lugaru claimed that it would, when PC-DOS just doesn't the ability.
>
> This is not correct.  Epsilon DOES allow compiling or shell interaction in
> a window, similar to many EMACS-like editors for Unix(tm).  It is true that
> PC-DOS does not support multitasking.  As a result, Epsilon itself must
> simulate the missing functionality, intercepting the PC-DOS interrupts and
> multiplexing the CPU between Epsilon and the shell, etc.  This only works
> for "well-behaved" programs which do not similarly preempt the interrupt
> vector, or write directly to the screen memory, but the shell and most
> compilers, linkers, simple file utilities, etc. will work.
>
> [BTW: No version of Epsilon is in the public domain.  Epsilon is a copyrighted
> product of Lugaru Software Limited.]
>
> William Maddox
> {seismo, decwrl, ucbvax}!whm@cmu-cs-spice.arpa

When I start COMMAND.COM running from Epsilon, it does *not* run in a
window.  It goes off and does its thing, and when you exit from COMMAND.COM
and whatever compilers you are running, you are back in a window, but
it doesn't operate in anywhere near the manner that EMACS does under UNIX,
which the press releases I have seen strongly suggest.  This is what I
mean.