[net.micro.pc] other disk formats on IBMPC

egapmh@ecsvax.UUCP (Paul M. Hudy) (05/10/85)

  We are looking for software which will allow our IBMPC's to read disks
formatted on other machines and/or with other operating systems.  We
are the central office for the 16 campus UNC system and forsee a need
to process data gathered by our individual campuses on who-knows-what
kind of micro.  Converting it to IBM/MSDOS seemed to be the best way
to go.
    I have seen this kind of program in the CPM world and was
wondering what was available for MS/PCDOS.  Priorities are:
              1. does it actually work?
              2. number of disk formats/machines supported
    Ease of use is not terribly important, but it shouldn't be
completely inscrutable.  Cost < $175.  (I think the CPM versions run
around $75-$100).
                                   Thanks in advance
                                    Paul M. Hudy
                                    UNC-GENERAL ADMINISTRATION
                                    <egapmh@ecsvax>

dmimi@ecsvax.UUCP (Miriam Clifford) (05/10/85)

The Zenith z-100 has programs to read cpm format to z-dos or ms-dos
and vice versa.  I have no idea if they'll work on the ibm.  I would
not be surprised if the z-150 series has the same sort of thing, but
who knows?

Mimi Clifford

phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) (05/10/85)

In article <1222@ecsvax.UUCP> dmimi@ecsvax.UUCP (Miriam Clifford) writes:
>The Zenith z-100 has programs to read cpm format to z-dos or ms-dos
>and vice versa.  I have no idea if they'll work on the ibm.  I would
>not be surprised if the z-150 series has the same sort of thing, but
>who knows?

The Z-150 has a utility to read CP/M disks, called RDCPM, that is provided
with MS-DOS 2.11.  I've seen advertisements of software/hardware that can
read/write multiple formats but can't remember any name offhand.
--

                        John Miller  (ecsvax!phco)
                        Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of N.C.-Chapel Hill

ncahec@ecsvax.UUCP (Jim Gogan) (05/10/85)

We recently purchased a package called "UniForm" from Micro Solutions,
Inc. in DeKalb, Illinois for about $70.  Our primary purpose was to
transfer straight text data files from a Kaypro II to an IBM-PC and back.
While we haven't done much with it yet, it seems as though it will work
just fine.  The package prides itself at being able to create exchangable
data diskettes, for situations where you have compatible data files but
incompatable diskette formats.  When run on a PC, you can read/write
from/to any of the following formats:

Type          Description           Type          Description
========  ========================  ========  ========================
DS:DD:48  A.B. Dick Magna III       DS:DD:48  Datavue DV80
SS:DD:48  Actrix                    SS:DD:48  DEC VT-180
DS:DD:48  Actrix                    DS:DD:48  Digilog
DS:DD:48  Advanced Digital Super 6  DS:DD:48  Direct 1025
SS:DD:48  Bondwell 12               DS:DD:48  Epson QX-10
DS:DD:48  Bondwell 14               DS:DD:48  Epson QX-10 (European)
DS:DD:48  BMC if800 model 20        DS:DD:48  Fujitsu Micro 16s
DS:DD:48  CAL-PC                    DS:DD:48  Gnat System 10
DS:DD:48  Columbia Commander 964    SS:DD:48  Heath w/Magnolia CP/M
SS:DD:48  Cromemco CDOS             DS:DD:48  Heath w/Magnolia CP/M
DS:DD:48  Cromemco CDOS             DS:DD:48  Hewlett Packard HP-125
SS:DD:48  Cromemco w/Intl Term CPM  SS:DD:48  IBM PC using CP/M-86
DS:DD:48  Cromemco w/Intl Term CPM  DS:DD:48  IBM PC using CP/M-86
SS:DD:48  IBM PC-DOS Version 1      DS:DD:48  Morrow MD3
DS:DD:48  IBM PC-DOS Version 1      DS:DD:48  NCR Decision Mate V
SS:DD:48  IBM PC-DOS Version 2      SS:DD:48  NEC PC-8001
DS:DD:48  IBM PC-DOS Version 2      DS:DD:48  NEC PC-8801
SS:DD:48  IMS 5000                  DS:DD:48  OKI if800 model 20
DS:DD:48  IMS 5000                  DS:DD:48  Olivetti
SS:DD:48  Kaypro II                 SS:DD:48  Olivetti ETV 300
DS:DD:48  Kaypro 4                  DS:DD:48  Olympia EX-100
DS:DD:48  Kaypro 10                 SS:DD:48  Osborne 1
SS:DD:48  Lobo MAX-80               SS:DD:48  Osborne Executive
DS:DD:48  Magic Computer            DS:DD:48  Otrona Attache
DS:DD:48  Micron Quark              SS:DD:48  Philips PC-2010
SS:DD:48  Morrow MD2                DS:DD:48  Sanyo MBC-1000
SS:DD:48  Seequa Chameleon CP/M     DS:DD:48  TRS-80 Mod 3 Holmes CP/M
DS:DD:48  Seequa Chameleon CP/M     SS:DD:48  TRS-80 Mod 4 MT CP/M
DS:DD:48  Sharp                     SS:DD:48  TRS-80 Mod 4 CP/M
SS:DD:48  Superbrain JR             DS:DD:48  Wangwriter
SS:DD:48  Superbrain 40 track       SS:DD:48  Xerox 820-II
DS:DD:48  Superbrain QD             DS:DD:48  Xerox 820-II
SS:DD:48  Systel II                 DS:DD:48  Xor 5
DS:DD:48  TeleVideo                 SS:DD:48  Zenith Z-90 48 TPI
DS:DD:48  Tektronix 4170            SS:DD:48  Zenith Z-100 CP/M
SS:DD:48  TI Professional CP/M-86   DS:DD:48  Zenith Z-100 CP/M
DS:DD:48  Toshiba T100              DS:DD:48  Zorba
SS:DD:48  TRS-80 Mod 3 MM CP/M

where SS=single sided; DS=double sided; DD=double density; 48=48 tracks
per inch.

The company's phone number is 815-756-3421, if you need more information
than the above.  I've only talked to them one time, but found them to be
quite helpful.  We will be testing this package out more thoroughly in
the next 2 weeks.  If I find any real glaring problems, I'll post them
here.

Jim Gogan (ncahec)

--

Jim Gogan
N.C. AHEC Program

bb@wjh12.UUCP (byer) (05/12/85)

>   We are looking for software which will allow our IBMPC's to read disks
> formatted on other machines and/or with other operating systems.
Vertex Systems, Inc. has three products which will interest you:
  1. Xeno-Copy Plus allows PC (& clones) to format, read & write
     over 100 formats incl. cp/m, turbo-, trs-, nec-dos, p-system, etc.
  2. Xeno-Disk is a superset of (1.), adding a table-driven text
     translator, disk duplication, and user-specifiable disk format
     parameters for oddball disks.
  3. Apple Turnover permits reading & writing of Apple II disks on PC;
     uses a firmware board for the PC, to hack the Apple format.

brent byer

bb@wjh12.UUCP (byer) (05/12/85)

>   We are looking for software which will allow our IBMPC's to read disks
> formatted on other machines and/or with other operating systems.
Vertex Systems, Inc. has three products which will interest you:
  1. Xeno-Copy Plus allows PC (& clones) to format, read & write
     over 100 formats incl. cp/m, turbo-, trs-, nec-dos, p-system, etc.
  2. Xeno-Disk is a superset of (1.), adding a table-driven text
     translator, disk duplication, and user-specifiable disk format
     parameters for oddball disks.
  3. Apple Turnover permits reading & writing of Apple II disks on PC;
     uses a firmware board for the PC, to hack the Apple format.
**Sorry** for the re-post, but I forgot to give their adr./phone:
  Vertex Systems, Inc.
  6022 W. Pico Blvd.
  Los Angeles, CA 90035
   (213) 938-0857

brent byer

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (05/13/85)

There are several other software packages that allow you to
read and write to CP/M disks on your PC. Some I know of are:

Xeno Copy from Vertex in California. This is copy protected, a pain
to use and very expensive for what it is.

Crossdata from Award Software, Los Gatos CA 408 395 2773 - this has 28
formats, costs $99.

Media Master from MDG and Associates, Moorpark CA 805 529 5073, costs
$39.95 + $2.50 S/H, has 70 formats - a good deal.

Supercross from Powersoft in Dallas, this is different because unlike
the others it runs on the TRS-80 Model 1,3 or 4. It lets you do things
the others will not - copy between any two disks from a TRS-80, CP/M or
MS-DOS machine. It includes single and double density formats, note
that the PC cannot read single density disks as IBM thoughtfully left
the density control out when they designed the hardware. This one costs
$99.95 from Powersoft (214) 484-2976. I must say this one is great -
since I am the author !.

Mike Gingell, ..ecsvax!mjg