[net.micro.pc] Xenix boot patches

steve@tellab3.UUCP (Steve Harpster) (06/07/85)

Be forewarned: those patches require adb which is NOT supplied with
Xenix.  You must buy the Software Development Package.  But even
having it doesn't make your job easy if you stop and think about it.
How do I run adb to patch boot if I can only run adb under Xenix but
I can't boot Xenix because of the patch?  Well here's how I did it
with only 1 floppy drive:

1. Install the Xenix base software onto your hard disk.
2. Boot Xenix from the installation floppy (fd /xenix.fd).
3. Luckily the installation floppy is writable (it has to be to be bootable).
   Move /bin on the floppy to /oldbin.
4. Make a new /bin on the floppy and mount /dev/hd0a on /bin.  You may
   want to do a fsck first to make sure the installation went okay.
5. Put in the 1st Software Development diskette.
6. tar xvfb /dev/rfd096ds15 20 /bin/adb
7. Put the installation floppy back in.  Umount /dev/hd0a.  Rmdir /bin.
   Mv /oldbin /bin.
8. Mount /dev/hd0a on /mnt.
9. /mnt/bin/adb -w /mnt/boot and follow the appropriate script.

Be careful about the rest of the installation.  I believe boot will be
overwritten so you may want to save a copy of the patched boot somewhere
else until you have the whole system installed.

Also note that the shell script hdinit always assumes a 20MB disk.
If you use option #1 or #2 when setting up the disk partitions, any part of
your disk beyond 20MB will be wasted.  Use option #3 to partition the disk
by hand.

I hope this helps.  I know it was incredibly frustrating to me.  I got
4.2 BSD up faster on our VAXes than Xenix on our AT.  The Xenix documentation
is horrible.  They always assume that the boot will go flawlessly.
--

...ihnp4!tellab1!steve
Steve Harpster

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/09/85)

In article <264@tellab3.UUCP> steve@tellab3.UUCP (& Harpster) writes:
>I hope this helps.  I know it was incredibly frustrating to me.  I got
>4.2 BSD up faster on our VAXes than Xenix on our AT.  The Xenix documentation
>is horrible.  They always assume that the boot will go flawlessly.

My AT Xenix boot went flawlessly. What's all the fuss about? Did I
miss something?
--
 People do what management inspects, not what management expects.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA