[net.micro.pc] AT xtal anecdotes

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (06/19/85)

In the face of overwhelming silence on the net regarding my query about
replacement of the AT's 12mhz crystal with higher frequency crystals, I
forged ahead and installed a 18.4mhz crystal in its place.  So far, I
have observed no deleterious effects.  I would be willing to pass on any
experience I gain in this regard and am (still) eager to hear from any
other AT owners who have tried this.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

root@wlcrjs.UUCP (Randy Suess) (06/20/85)

In article <743@bbnccv.UUCP> sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>In the face of overwhelming silence on the net regarding my query about
>replacement of the AT's 12mhz crystal with higher frequency crystals, I
>forged ahead and installed a 18.4mhz crystal in its place.  So far, I
>have observed no deleterious effects

	I did the same thing on my AT running Xenix, altho the only ~18 mhz
crystal I had was 18.45.  The AT would then hiccup every now and then.
XENIX would go into various panic halts.  I then stuck a 17.2573 (!!)
crystal in and everything is hunky dorry.  I guess when pushing the edge,
it sometimes crumbles..

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart ..
Randy Suess

dewa@ur-univax.UUCP (07/03/85)

I am curious if you had the regular math coprocessor 80287 installed too.
I have heard that it normally operates at 4MHz (1/3 of the clock rate).
How does it behave at beefed up clock rates?
Thanks Rajiv

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (07/03/85)

> I am curious if you had the regular math coprocessor 80287 installed too.
> I have heard that it normally operates at 4MHz (1/3 of the clock rate).
> How does it behave at beefed up clock rates?
> Thanks Rajiv

Yes, I have a 287 installed also.  I guess it must be running at slightly
over 6MHz, since my crystal is roughly 18.4Mhz.  The IBM coprocessor
diagnostics and a separate set of diagnostics from MicroWay all continue
to work without errors--naturally, I can't vouch for how it will behave
in the long term.  So far I haven't noticed any anomalous calculations.

By the way, I haven't noticed any heat-related problems--I can keep the
machine on all day and it continues to work.