[net.micro.pc] DOS 2.x question

sota@fluke.UUCP (Bruce White) (06/29/85)

< Is this the line that sometimes gets eaten ?  >

Judging from all of the questions pervading the net about interrupts, execute
and stay resident, environment variables, comspec, command.com, switchchar, and
other undocumented features in DOS 2.x, it is obvious that a good book on the
subject is needed.

Is there any authoritative reference book on DOS?

Is the IBM DOS 2.x manual the best there is? (I hope not!)

Does Microsoft publish a better manual for the generic MS-DOS product?

Are software publishers privy to more information than the rest of the
unwashed masses?

Any information on books, articles, etc., would be appreciated by me, and
also the rest of the net, I assume.
--
Bruce T. White
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

mason@noscvax.UUCP (Nicholas B. Mason) (07/02/85)

In article <776@vax2.fluke.UUCP> sota@fluke.UUCP (Bruce White) writes:
>< Is this the line that sometimes gets eaten ?  >
>

>Does Microsoft publish a better manual for the generic MS-DOS product?

  I think so. I have a Zenith-150 and my cohort across the hall has an
  IBM. We both have the manuals for our machines, HOwever, mine gives
  all of the codes for ansi.sys, a chapter on *.bat files, how to use
  the environment, etc. I would suggest getting the microsoft MS-DOS
  book for the zenith over the ones for the IBM.

  Nick.

  All of the usuall disclaimers.....

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (07/03/85)

In article <776@vax2.fluke.UUCP> sota@fluke.UUCP (Bruce White) writes:
>Is there any authoritative reference book on DOS?

David J. Bradley's _Assembly Language Programming for the IBM Personal
Computer_, Prentice Hall 1984, has a lot of useful information.  It's not
primarily a DOS reference, but besides describing how to use the PC macro
assembler it has chapters on DOS functions including how to muck about
with FCB's, differences between .COM and .EXE, using the 8087, programming
the different adaptors (including graphics cards and diskette adaptor),
and the ROM BIOS.  There's also a section on the terminate and stay
resident stuff, including sample code.  For straight 8088 assembler hacking I
prefer Scanlon's book "IBM PC Assembly Language", but Bradley's book has
some instructive code segments.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

rde@ukc.UUCP (R.D.Eager) (07/05/85)

I  haven't  seen a great deal on the subject, but two comments may be of
interest:

   * The documentation given to OEMs looks only slightly better than
      that given to the poor end user

   * One book which I can recommend (although it doesn't go as far as
      some of the net articles) is the "IBM PC-DOS Handbook", by
      Richard Allen King (published by Sybex)

I find it depressing that a  firm  like  Microsoft,  having  obtained  a
stranglehold  on the marketplace (more by accident than design it seems)
produce such awful documentation. The latest MASM  documentation  is  an
improvement, but for example the MSDOS Programmers Manual is a disaster.

Are  you  listening  Microsoft? Give  me  the dope and let me write your
manual for you.....
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/05/85)

You might want to take a look at _The IBM Personal Computer from the
Inside Out_, by Sargent/Shoemaker.

Excellent!

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc. they would make me their spokesperson.