[net.micro.pc] Dos 2.0 Question

mercury@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Larry E. Baker) (07/06/85)

[]

Jim Gillogly (jim@rand-unix.arpa) replies:
  > > David J. Bradley's _Assembly Language Programming for the IBM Personal
  > > Computer_, Prentice Hall 1984, has a lot of useful information.  It's not

... [edited for berivity]

  > >                               For straight 8088 assembler hacking I
  > > prefer Scanlon's book "IBM PC Assembly Language", but Bradley's book has
  > > some instructive code segments.

I have found "The IBM PC-DOS Handbook" by Richard A. King (Sybex) to
be of great value, containing much of the material in the DOS and
Technical Reference manuals in a MUCH more readable format.

You might also find these helpful:

    "The Serious Assembler" by Charles A. Crayne and Dian Girard (Baen
    Books, 1985)

    "Bluebook of Assembly Routines for the IBM PC & XT" by Christopher
    L. Morgan (Plume, Waite 1984)

This last, the "Bluebook," has some very fast graphics routines, as
well as a complete collection of routines doing just about any DOS
function you could ask for.  With a little effort, you can adapt these
routines to any of the compiled languages, and the BASIC interpreter
as well.

If you do not know much about microcomputers or microcomputer
operating systems in general, the following may be of assistance:

    "Inside the IBM PC" by Peter Norton (Prentice-Hall, 1983)

    "Programming the 8086/8088" by James W. Coffron (Sybex, 1983)

I have several other references available on the IBM PC, if anyone is
interested.  Mail me, and I'll mail them to you.

--
			"[BEEP] Entry APPROVED.  Shall we dust Moscow?"
--

...  {seismo!ut-sally | decvax!allegra | tektronix!ihnp4}!ut-ngp!mercury.UUCP
...  mercury@ut-ngp.ARPA

norcott@cca.UUCP (Bill Norcott) (07/08/85)

> []
>
> Bruce White writes:
>   > Is there any authoritative reference book on DOS?
>
> Jim Gillogly (jim@rand-unix.arpa) replies:
>   > > David J. Bradley's _Assembly Language Programming for the IBM Personal
>   > > Computer_, Prentice Hall 1984, has a lot of useful information.  It's not
>
> ... [edited for berivity]
>
>   > >                               For straight 8088 assembler hacking I
>   > > prefer Scanlon's book "IBM PC Assembly Language", but Bradley's book has
>   > > some instructive code segments.
>
> I have found "The IBM PC-DOS Handbook" by Richard A. King (Sybex) to
> be of great value, containing much of the material in the DOS and
> Technical Reference manuals in a MUCH more readable format.
>
> You might also find these helpful:
>
>     "The Serious Assembler" by Charles A. Crayne and Dian Girard (Baen
>     Books, 1985)
>
>     "Bluebook of Assembly Routines for the IBM PC & XT" by Christopher
>     L. Morgan (Plume, Waite 1984)
>
> This last, the "Bluebook," has some very fast graphics routines, as
> well as a complete collection of routines doing just about any DOS
> function you could ask for.  With a little effort, you can adapt these
> routines to any of the compiled languages, and the BASIC interpreter
> as well.
>
> If you do not know much about microcomputers or microcomputer
> operating systems in general, the following may be of assistance:
>
>     "Inside the IBM PC" by Peter Norton (Prentice-Hall, 1983)
>
>     "Programming the 8086/8088" by James W. Coffron (Sybex, 1983)
>
> I have several other references available on the IBM PC, if anyone is
> interested.  Mail me, and I'll mail them to you.
>
> --
> 			"[BEEP] Entry APPROVED.  Shall we dust Moscow?"
> --
>                                                      Larry Baker
>
> ...  {seismo!ut-sally | decvax!allegra | tektronix!ihnp4}!ut-ngp!mercury.UUCP
> ...  mercury@ut-ngp.ARPA
> ...  ut-ngp!mercury@ut-sally.CSNET

	Another brand new book on PC systems programming is available, the
"Programmer's Guide to the IBM Personal Computer" by guru Peter Norton
(Microsoft Press, 1985).  This book delves heavily into DOS & ROM-BIOS
interrupt services, and how to interface assembler code to the different
compilers.  Very informative and nicely laid out.

Sincerely,
Bill Norcott
Computer Corp. of America