[net.micro.pc] IBM tech support tele number

schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) (07/08/85)

Does anyone have the number for the
IBM technical support people?  I speak
of the number that they dont give out to
non dealers.  I have hardware questions
that the local people cant answer.
Can anyone help??

PS  My boss says "GET THAT NUMBER OR ELSE!!"

thanks in advance
david
!uwvax!geowhiz!schuh

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (07/09/85)

> Does anyone have the number for the
> IBM technical support people?  I speak
> of the number that they dont give out to
> non dealers.  I have hardware questions
> that the local people cant answer.
> Can anyone help??

	IBM handles tech support through a service called ASKINFO. It
is a bulletin board in Boca (no toll free number) that you are supposed
to leave your question on. If the people down there read it and determine
that it is worth attention, they post an answer. Alternatives include
US mail, outside consulting or UUCP. The latter is the most reliable.
Explain to your boss that unless he has personal contacts among IBM upper
administration, no amount of pull is going to get the answers to his questions
interactively from IBM (unless they are questions about legalities!). Why
not give this newsgroup a try?
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.ARPA
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (07/11/85)

In article <206@geowhiz.UUCP> schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) writes:
> Does anyone have the number for the IBM technical support people?  I speak
> of the number that they dont give out to non dealers.  I have hardware
> questions that the local people cant answer.

The tech support number for HARDWARE ONLY was 1-800-428-2569 last year
some time.  I haven't tried it lately.  I don't think they have a similar
number for software.  The people on the other end were well-informed, but
weren't able to help with my PCjr problem; they gave me a number in Boca
to call (not toll-free), where I eventually got my problem taken care of.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

german@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (07/13/85)

/* Written 11:04 am  Jul  8, 1985 by schuh@geowhiz.UUCP in uiucuxc:net.micro.pc */
/* ---------- "IBM tech support tele number" ---------- */
Does anyone have the number for the
IBM technical support people?  I speak
of the number that they dont give out to
non dealers.
david
!uwvax!geowhiz!schuh
/* End of text from uiucuxc:net.micro.pc */
The number you want is for the IBM Customer Assistance Center (CAC).  This
service is only for Technical Coordinators.  The first question they will ask
is: "What is your access code?" they will come back with the company name and
ask you to identify yourself to make sure you are a TC.  If your company buys
enough machines per year it qualifies to have Technical Coordinators.  You
need to check with your local IBM branch office or sales rep. for information
and to see if you qualify.  A call-in database called ASKINFO is also included
in this program and I find it quite useful.

         Greg German

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!german
ARPANET: german%uiucuxc@uiuc.arpa
CSNET:	 german%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
US Mail: Univ of Illinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:	 217-333-8293