[net.micro.pc] Norton utilities question

glenm@tekecs.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) (07/11/85)

One of the Norton utilities claims to be able to recover
deleted files.  Does it actually do this?  If so, how?
Can anyone share experiences with actually recovering files?

	Glen McCluskey
	..tektronix!tekecs!glenm

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (07/12/85)

Yes, there are utilities available from Norton that do permit one
to recover deleted files under PC DOS. Under the original Norton
release, this utility was called UNERASE; under the current release,
it's combined in with several other Norton utilities in a large program
called NU. I have seen several programs that are in the public domain
that purport to be able to do this as well, but I cannot remember their
names, nor can I assist you in finding them.

How do they work, you ask, and what are our experiences with recovering
deleted files?

First, it's important to understand that under PC DOS, as under CP/M,
when you delete a file, its contents are not erased; the FAB (file access
block) is simply modified (usually in only a few bytes) to indicate that
the space that used to be reserved for the file on the medium is now
available in the free list. One of the bytes in the PC DOS FAB that
gets changed is the first character of the filename; I think it's
simply nulled-over (a zero is written in its place). When using
UNERASE or NU, the user is presented with a list of these files, with
the missing first character; he/she chooses one, and the program attempts
to determine its chances of recovering all of the data of the original
file. This recovery is, of course, not possible, if the area on the
medium that had been in use by the original file had been remapped to
some other data. That's what the program does--it compares the original
file's allocation of space with the allocation of space of the current
occupants of the FAB (or FABs), and if some other file has already taken
some of the space, it tells you that you may only be able to get a
partial recovery, and allows you the option of continuing or not. If you
proceed with the partial, the Norton utility permits you to dump each
sector of the original allocation in order to determine for yourself
whether you want to include it in the recovered file or not.

Hope this answers your questions. In summary, if you want to recover
a deleted file, your chances are best if you recover immediately after
your mistaken deletion; as you write to the medium, your chances are
significantly lowered over time.
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (07/12/85)

[]
> From: glenm@tekecs.UUCP (Glen McCluskey)
> One of the Norton utilities claims to be able to recover
> deleted files.  Does it actually do this?  If so, how?

Under MS-DOS, when you delete a file the first byte in its directory entry
is changed to E5.  (It would be pretty inefficient to zero the whole file.)
File recovery utilities find the directory entry for the appropriate deleted
file and change the first byte back.  Note:  If the directory entry has been
reused or any of the clusters have been taken for storing another file, the
deleted file is not recoverable.
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    Staff.Melinda%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (07/12/85)

> One of the Norton utilities claims to be able to recover
> deleted files.  Does it actually do this?  If so, how?
> Can anyone share experiences with actually recovering files?
>
> 	Glen McCluskey
> 	..tektronix!tekecs!glenm

When you ask MS-DOS to delete a file it marks the first byte of the file
with a code that means "available for use as new storage" but otherwise
leaves it alone.  The Norton utility examines all files for that code,
and displays the original filename except for substituting "?" for the
first byte, and asks you if you want to try to salvage it.  If you do,
and the file is still intact, it can be restored.

Note, however, that a deleted file has become a prime candidate for
being overwritten; if you delete a file and then write to that disk, it
is very likely the old file will be overwritten, and thus be sent to
Byte Heaven.  I understand DOS 3 is smarter about this than DOS 2, which
finds joy in overwriting as soon as it can.  DOS 3 waits until all other
storage is exhausted before reclaiming file space from deletions, so you
have a better chance -- but no guarantee -- of successful restoration.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/13/85)

In article <5507@tekecs.UUCP> glenm@tekecs.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:

>One of the Norton utilities claims to be able to recover
>deleted files.  Does it actually do this?  If so, how?
>Can anyone share experiences with actually recovering files?

When a file is deleted, it isn't actually removed from the diskette.
Basically the link that holds it in the directory is removed.  The information
in the directory that tells where the starting cluster is and how many
bytes it is, is still there.  The first character of the directory name
is replaced with a ?.  So, Norton's job was made easy.  Basically, replace
the first character with one that you give it and add the link back into
the directory.  This is it in a nutshell.  All of the details may not
be perfect, but the idea is there.  I have had to use Norton's Utilities
a few times to recover files.  I have even used other features of NU's
to go into the directory and some some of my own patching, because the
first few sectors got destroyed with other data.

So, the main thing to remember is, if you delete something by mistake,
don't do anything else to change the directory, especially like add new
data.  It may use the directory entry that you deleted by mistake.  Then
it is real difficult to recover the data, since it was written over.

Also if you format a diskette, you can forget about getting anything back.
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
Mr. Video     | |       | o|  |--------------|
              | |       |  |  | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|  |--------------|
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   seismo!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown
   ihnp4!nicmad!brown

che@ptsfb.UUCP (Mitch Che) (07/13/85)

In article <5507@tekecs.UUCP> glenm@tekecs.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:
>One of the Norton utilities claims to be able to recover
>deleted files.  Does it actually do this?  If so, how?
>Can anyone share experiences with actually recovering files?

Yes, the UnErase (UE) utility allows you to "unerase" a file.  It works
quite well on the few occasions I've managed to erase the wrong files.
I've used it both on an XT hard disk as well as on a standard floppy.

How does it work?  The act of deleting a file doesn't actually
do more than mark the file name in the disk directory and remove the space
allocation for that file.  UE just restores the directory entry and tells
you whether the first sector of the file is intact.  If it is, then you have
a good chance of recovering the file.  If it isn't, you probably wrote something
else onto the disk.  In UE, you follow a mechanical process to recover the
remaining sectors... It's obviously possible to do this with the Dos debugger,
but it's a lot harder.

What is the message it all of this?  If you ever screw up and erase a file,
or do something extremely bad unintentionally, (like: DEL *.*
Are you sure (y/n)? Y .......   OH MY GOD, NO!!!)  it is extremely important
that you STOP and do not do anything else to the disk (or hard disk)!
It is possible to recover ALL of your files most of the time  The worst
thing to do is start writing to the same disk (unless you didn't really
care about it...)   Note: this applies to DEL or ERASE only, not FORMAT!
--
Mitch Che
Pacific Bell

amr@rti-sel.UUCP (Alan Roberts) (07/15/85)

The current discussion of "undeleting" files on a PC reminds me of a question
I had some time ago:

	Is there any command (preferred), or software modification
	which will make the PC perform a "data security erase" on
	files when they are deleted?  Any sort of overwrite of the
	file's data with some worthless pattern would do.

I realize that this would have a significant impact on performance, especially
when operating from floppies, but I suspect that many would consider it
useful.  I for one would want to know that old copies of spreadsheets
containing my financial were actually "gone" when deleted, and I would guess
that many businesses would want to ensure that sensitive data was actually
unreadable, possibly without bulk erasing or reformatting the entire disk.
Any "known" ways to do this?

					Cheers,

					Alan Roberts
					Research Triangle Institute
					(decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!amr)
--

					Cheers,

					Alan Roberts
					Research Triangle Institute
					(decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!amr)

communcg@ecsvax.UUCP (Cynthia M. King) (07/16/85)

Although I don't know of a specific product for the
IBM PC that actually delete the file contents
when "deleting" a file, it definitely is possible.
An operating system for the TRS-80s (MULTIDOS) has
such a command (CDISK) that zeros out the sectors
from files that have already been deleted.  Actually,
you might want to check the PC-DOS manual since I
think there is a similar command there (I mainly
use TRS, CP/M, and XENIX so I don't have a manual
here at home to check for PC-DOS).  As I recall, tho,
there is a command.

Cindy King  !ecsvax!communcg

johnl@ima.UUCP (07/18/85)

/* Written  2:40 pm  Jul 15, 1985 by amr@rti-sel in ima:net.micro.pc */
> Is there any command (preferred), or software modification
> which will make the PC perform a "data security erase" on
> files when they are deleted?  Any sort of overwrite of the
> file's data with some worthless pattern would do.

The latest version of the Norton Utilities (version 3) include a program
called wipefile which writes zeros all over a file you want to clobber.
The extremely destructive can use wipedisk which does the same to a whole
disk.

If you wanted to wipe out files every time they were deleted, I suppose
you could trap the unlink system call and write all over the file, but
it'd seem easier to me to use wipefile on the files that are worth erasing.

Alternatively, you could spend the $100 on a lock for the room with the
computer in it.

John Levine, ima!johnl

reza0@ihlpl.UUCP (Zarafshar) (07/18/85)

> Although I don't know of a specific product for the
> IBM PC that actually delete the file contents
> when "deleting" a file, it definitely is possible.
> An operating system for the TRS-80s (MULTIDOS) has
> such a command (CDISK) that zeros out the sectors
> from files that have already been deleted.  Actually,
> you might want to check the PC-DOS manual since I
> think there is a similar command there (I mainly
> use TRS, CP/M, and XENIX so I don't have a manual
> here at home to check for PC-DOS).  As I recall, tho,
> there is a command.
>
> Cindy King  !ecsvax!communcg

reza0@ihlpl.UUCP (Zarafshar) (07/18/85)

> > Although I don't know of a specific product for the
> > IBM PC that actually delete the file contents
> > when "deleting" a file, it definitely is possible.
> > An operating system for the TRS-80s (MULTIDOS) has
> > such a command (CDISK) that zeros out the sectors
> > from files that have already been deleted.  Actually,
> > you might want to check the PC-DOS manual since I
> > think there is a similar command there (I mainly
> > use TRS, CP/M, and XENIX so I don't have a manual
> > here at home to check for PC-DOS).  As I recall, tho,
> > there is a command.
> >
> > Cindy King  !ecsvax!communcg

Sorry about that.

In page 474 of May issue of Byte, there is a blurb about
a product called Eraseure which ensures unreadability of
datat after deletion of data from a disk. it runs on pc/msdos
The product is from MPPi Ltd.:

	Mppi Ltd
	2200 Lehigh Ave.
	Glenview, IL  60025
	(312) 998-8401

The cost is $30.00.

Note.: that I have not used this prodcut nor do I endorse its use,
just informing you of a product announcement in the Byte mag.

Reza Zarafshar
312-979-5104
ihnp4!ihlpl!reza0