[net.micro.pc] Norton Utilities

bob@nbires.UUCP (Bob Bruck) (07/19/85)

Daniel Gray wrote:

> The FAT (File Allocation Table) contains smaller structures within it
> that are sometimes refered to as FCBs (File Control Blocks). The table
> or control block is simply an index to the beginning of the file and
> also contains the number of records that the file contains. When a file
> is erase, the FCB -or- FAT is flagged that this entry is now availible
> for use.

Now I am really getting confused!  I thought that the directory information
on the disk contained the location of the first allocation block for the
file described by that directory entry.  Once you know the first allocation
block, you can use the FAT as a linked list to find subsequent allocation
blocks.  I assumed (probably incorrectly) that when a file is deleted, each
FAT entry in this linked list is set to zero (000) to indicate that this
cluster is unused and available.  If this linked list is destroyed in this
way, then the file would be unrecoverable (I think).  On the other hand, if
this assumption is incorrect, then DOS must at some point do "garbage
collection" to recover space used by deleted files.

Can anyone out there in NETland (Microsoft, are you listening?) clear up my
confusion about this? Thanks.

					Bob Bruck
					NBI, Inc.  Boulder, Co.
					(hao | allegra | ...)!nbires!bob

abm@ptsfa.UUCP (Al Margolis) (07/19/85)

> Although I don't know of a specific product for the
> IBM PC that actually delete the file contents
> when "deleting" a file, it definitely is possible.

Almost every encryption program I have seen for the PC comes with a
zapper program to this, to obliterate the plain-text file.  You
should be able to locate a package for < $50.  You could write your
own fairly simply ... just open the file random, check its size, then
overwrite garbage;  when you delete the file normally, only garbage
is returned to the free space pool.

My personal opinion is that if you are truly concerned about security
under MSDOS you should get another operating system.  If you are
stuborn (sp?), like me, you have to start with good physical
security, add an access control package that never lets you leave the
door very open, and pray a lot.  I have been playing with Watchdog
by Fischer-Innis, and it looks pretty unbreakable -- has anybody
else had any experience.

Al Margolis
Pacific Bell     {dual, ihnp4} !ptsfa!abm

*** I'm not associated with Fischer-Innis ***
*** The opinions expressed are my own...  ***

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (07/23/85)

> Now I am really getting confused!  I thought that the directory information
> on the disk contained the location of the first allocation block for the
> file described by that directory entry.  Once you know the first allocation
> block, you can use the FAT as a linked list to find subsequent allocation
> blocks.  I assumed (probably incorrectly) that when a file is deleted, each
> FAT entry in this linked list is set to zero (000) to indicate that this
> cluster is unused and available.  If this linked list is destroyed in this
> way, then the file would be unrecoverable (I think).  On the other hand, if
> this assumption is incorrect, then DOS must at some point do "garbage
> collection" to recover space used by deleted files.
>
> Can anyone out there in NETland (Microsoft, are you listening?) clear up my
> confusion about this? Thanks.

To clarify, your assumptions are correct.  The directory entry does
point to the first entry in the fat.  when a file is erased, the first
letter of the file name is overwritten with E0h and the entire linked
list in the fat for the file is zeroed.  When dos needs new space, it
scans the fat sequentialy for zeroed out entries.  There is no list
or pointer to available space.  (I think to many cp/m hackers have
been putting in their $.02 and confusing things.)  by the way, a
fat entry points to a cluster, not a sector.  a cluster is a group of
sectors, # of sectors per cluster dependent on volume type. (SS floppy
has 1 to 1 correspondence)

Hope this has clarified the issue.  **sigh**

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA