[net.micro.pc] Advice on MS-DOS software manufacture/source control utilities

dpn@mtuxt.UUCP (D.NADLE) (07/13/85)

Any recommendations for MS-DOS utility programs which can be used to
control source code versions (UNIX "sccs") and manufacture
executables based on dependency and time stamp (UNIX "make").

The only "make" type programs I have found are Polymake (by Polytron)
and Pmake (by Phoenix). Anyone care to share their experiences with
these packages? Thanks in advance for any responses.

						Dave

papke@dicomed.UUCP (Kurt Papke) (07/15/85)

In article <569@mtuxt.UUCP> dpn@mtuxt.UUCP (D.NADLE) writes:
>The only "make" type programs I have found are Polymake (by Polytron)
>and Pmake (by Phoenix). Anyone care to share their experiences with
>these packages? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Dicomed has been using Polymake for about a year.  The first release had
a horrible bug:  exit status was not being properly detected.  This caused
"make" to continue cruising right along even if you had a compile-time error.

The new release (1.1 I believe) was sent out free to all licensed sites with
the bug fixed.  I thought that was pretty decent of them.

The product works pretty well.  makefiles can be ported from Unix systems
with only a few mods.  The only thing I don't like is the requirement of
keeping "makefile.mak" and "builtins.mak" (default rules) in the current
directory.  Use of default paths in the environment ala the Microsoft C
compiler would be nice (anybody from Polytron listening ??).

	Kurt

broehl@wateng.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (07/16/85)

C-Ware (the people who market the DeSmet compiler) have a very nice Make
available.  It's written by John Sellens, and is a full-blown make with
all the goodies that the Unix version has.  You can configure it to have
the appropriate builtins when you install it, so you don't have to keep
a file sitting around (in the current directory or anywhere else) that has
that information in it.

I don't know how much they're asking for it (I bought my copy direct from
the original author for $50), but I'm sure the pricing is reasonable.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention in an earlier posting that the latest
release of DeSmet C came with an execution profiler and an interactive file
compare program (similar to DIFF).

Given what other companies are charging for their stuff (have you priced
any execution profilers lately?) I think the C-Ware package is a pretty
good deal.
--
        -Bernie Roehl    (University of Waterloo)
	...decvax!watmath!wateng!broehl

radha@othervax.UUCP (Radha Valivetti) (07/24/85)

In article <569@mtuxt.UUCP> dpn@mtuxt.UUCP (D.NADLE) writes:
>Any recommendations for MS-DOS utility programs which can be used to
>control source code versions (UNIX "sccs") and manufacture
>executables based on dependency and time stamp (UNIX "make").
>
>The only "make" type programs I have found are Polymake (by Polytron)
>and Pmake (by Phoenix). Anyone care to share their experiences with
>these packages? Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
>						Dave

One other "make"-like utility which comes to mind is LMK. The major
problem which I have encountered with it (does anyone know how to
overcome this?) is that LMK will not abort a make if an abnormal cond'n
such as an assembly error is encountered (this may be utility-dependent).

radha@othervax.UUCP (Radha Valivetti) (07/24/85)

Sorry, I forgot to tell the inquiring person that LMK is a product of
Lattice.

rlk@wlcrjs.UUCP (Richard L. Klappal) (07/27/85)

The issue of Dr Dobbs Journal that came yesterday has the source code
for a MAKE program for the PC, with a review of a couple others.

Haven't had time too look at it enough to know if its really usable.

Richard Klappal

UUCP:		..!ihnp4!wlcrjs!uklpl!rlk  | "Money is truthful.  If a man
MCIMail:	rklappal		   | speaks of his honor, make him
Compuserve:	74106,1021		   | pay cash."
USPS:		1 S 299 Danby Street	   |
		Villa Park IL 60181	   |	Lazarus Long
TEL:		(312) 620-4988		   |	    (aka R. Heinlein)

jerry@utzoo.UUCP (Jerry J. Deroo) (07/31/85)

a company in Oakville, Ontario, Canada called Softfocus
has a utility called snake. for $59.00 US you get the source code.
I have bought their Btree software library and can say that their code
is very portable, and actually works out of the box. have not yet tried snake,
but having just ordered a PC, probably will. they have not yet (nor
did not seem interested in) an sccs-like product.
their address is:
  1343 Stanbury Drive
  Oakville, Ontario, Canada
  L6L 2J5
  (416) 825 0903
  (416) 844 2610
I am not affiliated with Softfocus other than being a satisfied customer.
--
     Jerry J. Deroo
	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!jerry