[net.micro.pc] software protection - dongles &c.

webber@utcs.UUCP (R. D. Webber) (08/02/85)

In article <225@sesame.UUCP> slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) writes:
>... manufacturers will differentiate themselves in the market by
>either offering rapid (24hr) turnaround for replacement keys to registered
>users, or they may even supply you with a backup key at purchase.
>--
>Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
>Development Corp.
>
>Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

The problem with this idea, from the manufacturer's point of view, is
that supplying users with replacement keys will leave unscrupulous
registered users in a safer position if they wish to experiment with
the dongles to find out what's inside.

There is a basic problem with dongles as a security device, and indeed
with any protection scheme I've ever heard of:  it's always possible
to examine the contents of RAM at run time.  It may be difficult, e.g.
a second CPU may be required to run in parallel, or to take over at some
point in execution, but it always CAN BE DONE in principle.  This means
that the protection-related code may be excised and replaced with a
non-protective patch.

Obviously, such methods will not appeal to average, honest users,
but they aren't real problems for protection breaking _ab initio_
anyway: they buy protection breaking software (or hardware) from
others more skilled, who can often make a good living at selling it.

So far I've not heard of a good scheme for defeating _them_.
			Bob Webber