[net.micro.pc] 640K "too little memory" WordStar error

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) (07/23/85)

My 640K AT&T PC-6300 prints this when I run WINSTALL:
	A>winstall
	too little memory

Does this happen on IBM PCs?  Does anyone know an easy way out
besides using a different computer (or taking RAM out)?

Thanks,
hou2e!ksl

john@novavax.UUCP (John Paul O'Brien) (07/29/85)

I have heard from a few people who have had problems with
software on PC's when the amount of available memory is > 512k.
Just set you switches for 512k and see if 512k is all that DOS will recognize.
If it recognizes more, then you will have to remove some chips.

Good Luck,

John Paul O'Brien	{allegra, ucf-cs, neoucom, usfvax2}!novavax!john

"And now for something completely different!"

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (08/05/85)

In article <118@novavax.UUCP> john@novavax.UUCP (John Paul O'Brien) writes:
>I have heard from a few people who have had problems with
>software on PC's when the amount of available memory is > 512k.
>Just set you switches for 512k and see if 512k is all that DOS will recognize.
>If it recognizes more, then you will have to remove some chips.

This should never be necessary to satisfy WINSTALL or RINSTALL or any of the
other MicroPro install programs.  If you don't have access to the patch
(posted earlier on the net and available on CompuServe MicroPro Forum) then
big drivers, DEBUG, Sidekick ...

In times of emergency -- I found myself with an old install and no patch
nearby -- I've run the program under DEBUG and jimmied the "memory available"
byte so it thinks there's 512K or less available.

The problem has long since disappeared from our shipped product.  But when
the products were created, of course, machines with more than 512K were just
as rare around MicroPro as they were in the rest of the world.
--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development