[net.micro.pc] Re How to hook up multiple monitors to IBM-PC??

uevans@ecsvax.UUCP (Elizabeth A. Evans) (08/06/85)

From: GMS@psuvm.BITNET
Newsgroups: net.micro.pc
Subject: how to run multiple monitors from IBM-PC??
Date: Thu, 1-Aug-85 12:03:48 EDT

We are looking for a method to tie one IBM-PC to a number of
color television sets or monitors for instructional use.  Does
anyone know of a device to allow multiple TV's or monitors to run
off of an IBM PC ?   It must be software compatible with the IBM
color/graphics card.

Gerry Santoro
Penn State University
. . . !psuvax1!santoro
. . . !psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!gms
(814) 863-4356

uevans@ecsvax.UUCP (Elizabeth A. Evans) (08/08/85)

> We are looking for a method to tie one IBM-PC to a number of
> color television sets or monitors for instructional use.  Does
> anyone know of a device to allow multiple TV's or monitors to run
> off of an IBM PC ?   It must be software compatible with the IBM
> color/graphics card.
>
> Gerry Santoro
> Penn State University

I'll try this posting, again.  The first one was eaten by our host's
new postnews version!

I have had fair success with hooking up 4 monitors to an IBM PC
color/graphics card using simple and inexpensive cabling from
out local Radio Shack store.  I have 3 RCA Y-plugs.  One plugs
into the RCA plug on the c/g card, and the other two plug into
the two plugs on that one.  In addition, I have two extra-long
cables (also from Radio Shack) that allow two of the monitors
to be set up to 12 feet away from the PC.  If all the monitors
needed to be that distance, more long cables could be used.

How does this work?  It's OK.  I often have some distortion on
the displays, but it's livable.  Total cost was about $25.00.

Not fancy, but it works.

-- Elizabeth A. Evans
   Dept of Psychiatry

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/13/85)

In article <176@ecsvax.UUCP> uevans@ecsvax.UUCP (Elizabeth A. Evans) writes:
>I have had fair success with hooking up 4 monitors to an IBM PC
>color/graphics card using simple and inexpensive cabling from
>out local Radio Shack store.  I have 3 RCA Y-plugs.  One plugs
>into the RCA plug on the c/g card, and the other two plug into
>the two plugs on that one.  In addition, I have two extra-long
>cables (also from Radio Shack) that allow two of the monitors
>to be set up to 12 feet away from the PC.  If all the monitors
>needed to be that distance, more long cables could be used.
>
>How does this work?  It's OK.  I often have some distortion on
>the displays, but it's livable.  Total cost was about $25.00.

If the monitors have a loop thru video input, you can connect the monitors
in "series", looping thru each, and terminating only at the end.
This is a standard practice in the broadcast industry, and will give
excellent results if the cable matches the impedance of the terminator
(usually 75 ohms).
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231