[net.micro.pc] Increasing the type-ahead buffer

tj@utcs.UUCP (tj) (08/01/85)

I am interested in a patch to DOS 2.xx and 3.xx to give a much
larger type-ahead buffer. The number (<20) at present is very small
and I would like to set it to 64 or 80. (I use mainframes with 64
and manage to use that up sometimes...) This is surely a simple
zap to dos that someone has already done 5 years ago that I missed...
Thanks in advance...
t.jones

norman@lasspvax.UUCP (Norman Ramsey) (08/05/85)

In article <800@utcs.UUCP> tj@utcs.UUCP (tj) writes:

>I am interested in a patch to DOS 2.xx and 3.xx to give a much
>larger type-ahead buffer. The number (<20) at present is very small
>and I would like to set it to 64 or 80. (I use mainframes with 64
>and manage to use that up sometimes...) This is surely a simple
>zap to dos that someone has already done 5 years ago that I missed...
>Thanks in advance...
>t.jones

This is available on ARPAnet via ftp from USC-ISIB<INFO-IBMPC>. The relevant
files arer BUF160.ASM and KB_FIX.BAS. It's based on an article by John Socha
in SofTalk magazine.
--
Norman Ramsey
ARPA: norman@lasspvax  -- or --  norman%lasspvax@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

chi@wlbr.UUCP (Isaacs) (08/06/85)

There is a public domain program called kbbuff.com that
works great!!! I can't use my PC without it... If you want
it, dial your local bulletin board.  If you can't find it on
any bulletin boards I can mail it to you.

Charlie (KB6IXF)

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/12/85)

> This is available on ARPAnet via ftp from USC-ISIB<INFO-IBMPC>. The relevant
> files arer BUF160.ASM and KB_FIX.BAS. It's based on an article by John Socha
> in SofTalk magazine.

I tried a couple of those, and they broke sidekick. Is there something wrong
with my sidekick, or the DG-1 BIOS, or the programs? If anyone else has had
and solved this problem I'd appreciate a few hints.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/15/85)

In article <339@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> This is available on ARPAnet via ftp from USC-ISIB<INFO-IBMPC>. The relevant
>> files arer BUF160.ASM and KB_FIX.BAS. It's based on an article by John Socha
>> in SofTalk magazine.
>
>I tried a couple of those, and they broke sidekick. Is there something wrong
>with my sidekick, or the DG-1 BIOS, or the programs? If anyone else has had
>and solved this problem I'd appreciate a few hints.

I am currently using KBFIX2.COM, which is available of alot of BBS systems.
If you can't find it on a BBS near you, give (608) 273-5037 a call, 6pm to
8am M-F CDT, all day on weekends.  Leave me, the SYSOP, a comment containing
the information needed in bulletin 1 and I will allow you to download the
file.  The information (phone numner) is required the first time any new
user calls, before file transfer is allowed.

I have been using KBFIX2 with both versions of Sidekick, the newest because
of the AST give-away, without any trouble.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown