[net.micro.pc] banner headers on xenix printouts

zaphod@deepthot.UUCP (Lance Bailey) (08/07/85)

	I have an IBM AT running XENIX.  When I output to the printer,
I get a nice banner telling who printed the file.  Unfortunatly,
the AT thinks that this banner is so nice that it outputs it twice. Followed
by an extraneous blank page.

what I want is :: name_banner
		  <ff>
		  files

what I get is ::  name_banner
		  <ff>
		  name_banner
		  <ff>
		  <ff>     <-- second form-feed that causes the blank page
		  files

since the spool area gets only the files, I get the feeling that the
banners are put on by the device and therefore non-removable by me.
That is, I should learn to live with  them.

question:: do other people have this problem?
	   has anyone solved it?
	   is  it even solvable?

--
      4     222
   4  4    2   2

dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) (08/14/85)

> 	I have an IBM AT running XENIX.  When I output to the printer,
> I get a nice banner telling who printed the file.  Unfortunatly,
> the AT thinks that this banner is so nice that it outputs it twice. Followed
> by an extraneous blank page.

I'm not at all sure about the blank page, but the double cover sheet
is probably intentional, and not a conspiracy of the paper vendors.
In a real comp center, labor is more expensive than paper, and one
of the most labor-intensive (and poorly-executed) chores is the
bursting of printouts and putting them in users' bins.  The double
banner page allows the person to always find the banner on an
outward-facing page (assuming fan-fold paper).  This makes the job
easier.

Given that you have an AT running XENIX, you're hardly a production
comp center, and I don't blame you for not appreciating this "feature."
But I have no idea how you patch your way around it.  Hope someone
else can help.

			Dave Tutelman
			Physical - AT&T Information Systems
				   Holmdel, NJ 07733
			Logical  - ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtgzz!dmt
			Audible  - (201)-834-2895

beth@gymble.UUCP (Beth Katz) (08/14/85)

>> 	I have an IBM AT running XENIX.  When I output to the printer,
>> I get a nice banner telling who printed the file.  Unfortunatly,
>> the AT thinks that this banner is so nice that it outputs it twice. Followed
>> by an extraneous blank page.

To get just your output, use the following shell script.  (You can also
just use the one line, but I don't like remembering such things.)
	#
	cat $1 > /dev/lp &
I put this in /usr/beth/bin/p and then just type 'p filename'.  I make
no claims for this working with all printers.  It seems to work well
with the standard IBM Graphics printer.  It seems simple enough to work
with any printer.
				Beth Katz
				Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Maryland
				{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!beth

larry@extel.UUCP (08/14/85)

Set BANNERS=1 in /etc/default/lpd.

Larry
ihnp4!tellab1!extel!tapa!larry

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/15/85)

In article <627@deepthot.UUCP> zaphod@deepthot.UUCP (Lance Bailey) writes:

>	I have an IBM AT running XENIX.  When I output to the printer,
>I get a nice banner telling who printed the file.  Unfortunatly,
>the AT thinks that this banner is so nice that it outputs it twice. Followed
>by an extraneous blank page.
>
>what I want is :: name_banner
>		  <ff>
>		  files
>
>what I get is ::  name_banner
>		  <ff>
>		  name_banner
>		  <ff>
>		  <ff>     <-- second form-feed that causes the blank page
>		  files
>
>since the spool area gets only the files, I get the feeling that the
>banners are put on by the device and therefore non-removable by me.
>That is, I should learn to live with  them.
>
>question:: do other people have this problem?
>	   has anyone solved it?
>	   is  it even solvable?

The file you need to change is /etc/default/lpd.  I changed mine to:
============================== /etc/default/lpd ==============================
BANNERS=0
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

jerry@utzoo.UUCP (Jerry J. Deroo) (08/20/85)

there is a file /etc/defaults/lpr (i think) that has a line of the form
  BANNER=N

the documentation says that N can be either 1 or 2.
I have not yet tried N=0, but N=1 does work. see the man page for lpr.
--
     Jerry J. Deroo
	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!jerry