[net.micro.pc] UUCP software for the IBM PC?

kmn@orstcs.UUCP (kmn) (08/13/85)

Does anybody know of a software package for the IBM PC which allows
connection to the UUCP network?  Does such a thing exist?  Who has it?
How much?

Please do not reply to this account.  Reply to:

...hplabs!hp-pcd!osuee!dave

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/16/85)

Yes, my very comprehensive MSDOS UUCP mail/remote access/basic netnews
package [UULINK] (complete with 822 support, domain handling, auto-answering,
auto-originate, aliases, distribution lists, etc., etc.) exists,
and parties who contact me first for details can order it from me if they
wish, but please ONLY AFTER TALKING TO ME -- please do not try order
it before you've contacted me directly, ideally by phone.  I have a long,
detailed information blurb I can send out by netmail on request to
individuals, but I am adverse to posting it to netnews since I would
personally consider that to be a rather inappropriate use of netnews.

There are already sites on the network running UULINK, but they
haven't announced themselves so you can't tell they're there!

If you want to know more, and haven't already seen my information blurb,
please feel free to contact me by direct netmail or phone.  Thanks.

--Lauren--
{decvax, ihnp4, seismo, clyde, bonnie, trwrb, ...}!vortex!lauren
(213) 645-7200

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/24/85)

In article <> kmn@orstcs.UUCP (kmn) writes:
>Does anybody know of a software package for the IBM PC which allows
>connection to the UUCP network?  Does such a thing exist?  Who has it?
>How much?

I've been told that Lauren (THE Lauren, the net guru) has written such a
program, and is selling it for $500.  Suggest you send him mail.

Judith Abrahms
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (08/26/85)

Yes, I have a package for MSDOS.  It's not just uucp but is rather a
a very comprehensive and complete mail handling package (that
includes uucp as part of its functionality).  It is
priced much below $500 (I don't know where the hell someone came
up with that figure).  But as I've said before, I *REALLY* don't
want to get into commercial discussions of my own stuff on the
network.  I guess other people don't mind tooting their own
commercial horns on the net, but I really don't want to--I just
don't think it is appropriate.

The package (UULINK) has been distributed to a number of sites,
but frankly I don't have the resources all by myself to handle
all the inquiries and distribution for very much longer.  I am
now working on establishing a more stable means for distribution
and support of the package.  If you're interested in the package
(and haven't contacted me in the past) you can contact me directly
and I'll put you on an interest list, but distribution will be
necessarily limited until the logistics are worked out.  It's
a very complete and necessarily elaborate package, and I want to
make sure that appropriate mechanisms for timely distribution
and support are in place before letting more than a trickle of
orders out the door.  Getting these mechanisms in place is currently
my number one priority.

When things are set up to handle large-scale inquiries I'll make
that fact known.  I'm doing everything I can to make things
available as soon as I can.

All net inquiries should be sent to me directly, please.  Please don't
contact me again right now if we've discussed this in the recent
past already--I haven't lost your name.  Possibly using the phone
would be preferable to email.

Thanks much.

--Lauren--