[net.micro.pc] Need 'vi' for MS-DOS

dbr@foxvax5.UUCP (D. B. Robinson ) (08/12/85)

We are looking for a version of the editor 'vi' that will run on MS-DOS.

We would be happy to look at anything purporting to accomplish this
task, although having sources would be nice.

Douglas Robinson
The Foxboro Company
cybvax0!foxvax5!dbr

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/17/85)

> We are looking for a version of the editor 'vi' that will run on MS-DOS.

Didn't I just ask for this? I'm buying an editor called "brief". Try it.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) (08/19/85)

It's possible to fake a reasonably close version by mucking around with
the TurboPascal editor, from what I've been told.  You might want to try
that.
					orstcs!richardt
"And this is my new robot companion, Vi...WHAT DO YOU MEAN, I CAN'T USE THAT
	NAME!!!!!!?????"

ejy@houxm.UUCP (E.YUREK) (08/21/85)

If you don't mind 'vi' without the 'ex' editor, look at the
'Z' editor by MANX (the AZTEC 'C' People).
I've used it for several months, and I like it.

Gene Yurek
AT&T Bell Labs
Holmdel, N.J. 07733

neals@tekigm.UUCP (Neal Sedell) (08/23/85)

> It's possible to fake a reasonably close version by mucking around with
> the TurboPascal editor, from what I've been told.  You might want to try
> that.

   sorry, that is what I thought when I bought Turbo.  Unfortunately, like
word *, you are perpetually in insert mode therefore every command has to be
a control something.  Forget this fact and type dd and your line now has two
extra d's in it.  For someone who has used vi for a long time it is totally
frustrating.  I'd also like to flame anyone who thinks using the control key
and any character normally typed with the left hand is ok, but this only
applies to typing.  I guess programming is different (we're all mutants? :-).

			Neal Sedell
			tektronix!tekigm!neals

"^KD", that's mnemonic?  gimme ":wq" any day!

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (x0705) (08/24/85)

"Z", from Manx Software in Red Bank NJ, is a good vi-clone.  It has better
macro support, which roughly makes up for the lack of ed-style global
substitutes (you can define a macro that will do globals).  The only other
difference I've noticed is that it's missing a few options, in particular
"wrapmargin".
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) (08/25/85)

> It's possible to fake a reasonably close [to vi]
> version by mucking around with
> the TurboPascal editor, from what I've been told.  You might want to try
> that.

Having mucked around with the TurboPascal editor, and made it look
"almost" like EDIX  (in computing, "almost"="not" - Parnas), let me
guess that it'll be hard to make it look like "vi".  EMACS maybe, but
not VI.  The Turbo editor is modeless, like EMACS and EDIX. VI has a
command mode and an entry mode, and I find it difficult to see how
I'd ever simulate it in Turbo.

I have seen an MSDOS VI, but don't remember the vendor's name.  However,
it was very buggy, and guy who had it was disgusted and gave up using
it.
			Dave Tutelman
			Physical - AT&T Information Systems
				   Holmdel, NJ 07733
			Logical  - ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtgzz!dmt
			Audible  - (201)-834-2895

vch@rruxo.UUCP (Kerro Panille) (08/26/85)

There is a program called 'z' that is very similar to 'vi', and is available
for PC's. It's by Manx Software Systems, written by Jim Goodnow II.

(personally, I prefer a *real* PC editor. PC's are so flexible, why do you
want to limit yourself??)

BRIEF, by Underware, Inc, is a great PC editor. It has full color, a *real*
undo command (capable of up to 100 commands), windows, macros, one-keystroke
compilation that puts the cursor at the error, and it even displays the
current time!!. BRIEF is available from Solution Systems, Inc, 335 Washington
ST, Norwell, MA 02061,(617) 659-1571. Well worth the money and time to learn
to use. It has very good documentation.
--
Vince Hatem                           +----------------------------------------+
Bell Communications Research          !"..., isn't that right, Daniel?"        !

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (08/27/85)

You might take a look at the "see" editor sold by C-Ware inc. as
part of Mark DeSmet's "C Development Package". (Also sold separately).
It feels and works a lot like "vi" (it is two-moded like vi) but runs well
and has all the basic stuff in it you need.  Source code is available
for personal use, so you could hack it to put in the familiar vi
bugs. :-)
--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/28/85)

In article <291@rruxo.UUCP> vch@rruxo.UUCP (Kerro Panille) writes:
>There is a program called 'z' that is very similar to 'vi', and is available
>for PC's. It's by Manx Software Systems, written by Jim Goodnow II.
>
>(personally, I prefer a *real* PC editor. PC's are so flexible, why do you
>want to limit yourself??)
>
>BRIEF, by Underware, Inc, is a great PC editor. It has full color, a *real*
>undo command (capable of up to 100 commands), windows, macros, one-keystroke
>compilation that puts the cursor at the error, and it even displays the
>current time!!. BRIEF is available from Solution Systems, Inc, 335 Washington
>ST, Norwell, MA 02061,(617) 659-1571. Well worth the money and time to learn
>to use. It has very good documentation.
>--
Is a version available for the various Unix systems?  The advantage of vi
for DOS is that one would avoid relearning 69,000 different editor commands
just to work on a different system.  Since we "all" have to know regular
expressions to use ed, sed, lex, regcmp, bfs, etc., Unix "types" must
learn most of vi anyway.

My "other" editor is EMACS (the PD one from MIT based on Jove) which fits
well with my nascent ingrained memories of TECO. Its main disadvantage is
the inability to handle arbitrary files, being limited in the line length
that it can handle.

On DOS I use MINCE (would be nice to have a new version, mine is several
years old) which is almost a proper subset of EMACS.

Sometimes I use MEDIT, a full screen editor whose main virtue <FOR ME>
is its small size on disk, less than 20k.  But, since it uses a completely
different set of commands from the editors I'm used to, I don't use
it very often, only when on floppies that won't hold a larger editor.

For me to start using another editor, it must either 1) Do half of my
hacking for me, or 2) be available on all the systems I expect to use,
including the Mac, ST512, etc.
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231