[net.micro.pc] Enhanced Graphics Adaptor memory expansion

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (08/26/85)

Is is necessary to shell out the extra money to purchase IBM's 128K memory
upgrade for their EGA expansion card, or can ordinary 64K chips be used?  Like
most microcomputer users, I have spare 64K chips up to my ears, and I don't
relish the wait or the price of IBM's upgrade.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (08/27/85)

In article <542@bbncc5.UUCP>, sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> Is is necessary to shell out the extra money to purchase IBM's 128K memory
> upgrade for their EGA expansion card,or can ordinary 64K chips be used?  Like
> most microcomputer users, I have spare 64K chips up to my ears, and I don't
> relish the wait or the price of IBM's upgrade.

	The EGA uses 4x16K chips (4416's) NOT 1x64K chips
(4164's). The speed should be around 150 ns (although 200's would
probably work fine).  I bought mine from Marshall Industries in
Boston. They were TMS4416-15NL (Texas Instruments) and are in
such small demand that discounts are hard to find.  Usually at
~$7.20 quantity one, Marshall purchased in larger quantities and
offered the price break to people ordering the smaller amounts.
Final price was $6.48 ea. quantity 4. If you want to expand
beyond 128K, you need the piggyback board from IBM, or you have
to build one yourself.
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

robin@medstar.UUCP (Robin Cutshaw) (08/28/85)

> Is is necessary to shell out the extra money to purchase IBM's 128K memory
> upgrade for their EGA expansion card, or can ordinary 64K chips be used?  Like
> most microcomputer users, I have spare 64K chips up to my ears, and I don't
> relish the wait or the price of IBM's upgrade.

It uses TMS4416 (16Kx4) chips, not 64Kx1's.

--
----
Robin Cutshaw     Dir. R&D   MedSTAR, inc. (404) 325-2441

sambo@ukma.UUCP (Father of micro-S) (08/29/85)

In article <498@talcott.UUCP> lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) writes:
>	The EGA uses 4x16K chips (4416's) NOT 1x64K chips
>(4164's). The speed should be around 150 ns (although 200's would
>probably work fine).  I bought mine from Marshall Industries in
>Boston.
>Final price was $6.48 ea. quantity 4.

I got a flyer recently from Microprocessors Unlimited that listed such
chips, but I think the price was better.  I can look it up if people are
interested.  I have never ordered from them, but others have been raving
about them lately on the net.
Samuel A. Figueroa, Dept. of CS, Univ. of KY, Lexington, KY  40506-0027
ARPA: ukma!sambo<@ANL-MCS>, or sambo%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa,
      or even anlams!ukma!sambo@ucbvax.arpa
UUCP: {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!sambo,
      or cbosgd!ukma!sambo

	"Micro-S is great, if only people would start using it."