[net.micro.pc] ANSI.SYS

markz@microsoft.UUCP (06/16/84)

	"... 1 person reported a strange occurence.  Control-P seemed to be
	interpreted as Control-PrintScreen, but only if pressed when the speaker
	is making noise (e.g. Control-G)...."

^P is identical in function to Control-PrintScreen regardless of what the
speaker is doing.  If a program is using DOS calls to read its input, the
keys are identical in function.  If it uses the ROM directly (so much for
portability), then it sees two different characters.

cnrdean@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (03/13/85)

Could you please:

(1)  Give me a brief description of the purpos of the ANSI.SYS file
is for.

 and

(2) Give me the name of a document which describes it well enough for
me to use it.

Thanks
Sam Scalise

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/23/85)

Is there anyone out there that has an ANSI.SYS that's really ANSI? That is,
it should support most of the ANSI escape sequences, in particular SET
SCROLLING REGION: sc=\E[%d,%dr.
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (08/25/85)

> Is there anyone out there that has an ANSI.SYS that's really ANSI? That is,
> it should support most of the ANSI escape sequences, in particular SET
> SCROLLING REGION: sc=\E[%d,%dr.
> --
> 	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
> 		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter
> 		MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

There is a program in the BBS circuit called FANSI.SYS which is both
a full ansi.sys and a replacement for IBM's screen BIOS (which is
very slow).  Due to both size and binary nature I am not posting it
:-), but if you call your local IBM BBS you should find this program.

[It is a freeware product, if you decide to use it, the author would
like some $$$, which is reasonable...]

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

jqj@cornell.UUCP (J Q Johnson) (08/26/85)

In article <514@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Is there anyone out there that has an ANSI.SYS that's really ANSI? That is,
>it should support most of the ANSI escape sequences, in particular SET
>SCROLLING REGION: sc=\E[%d,%dr.

It should be noted that while the DEC VT100 supports \E[%d;%dr to mean
SET SCROLLING REGION (note, NOT \E[%d,%dr which is not even ANSI format),
this is not a standard ANSI sequence.  The ANSI standard reserves the
sequences <ESC>[<params>x where x is a lowercase letter for private use.

Since DEC is the largest manufacturer of ANSI terminals, \E[...r meaning
SET SCROLLING REGION has become something of a de facto standard, of
course.  However, it's the "feature" of VT100-compatible terminals that
a compatibles maker most often seems to get wrong.

Instead of asking for SET SCROLLING REGION, people should ask for fast
implementations of INSERT LINE (\E[%dL), DELETE LINE (\E[%dM), settable
INSERT-REPLACE MODE (\E[4h and \E[4l), and DELETE CHARACTER (\E[%dP).

From da Silva's notation, he obviously wants something that will work well
with Unix termcap.  If so, then C/L I/D are actually preferable.  He
shouldn't expect a VT100 emulator, since the PC can't easily support
132-col mode.

hamilton@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (08/30/85)

>There is a program in the BBS circuit called FANSI.SYS which is both
>a full ansi.sys and a replacement for IBM's screen BIOS (which is
>very slow).  Due to both size and binary nature I am not posting it
>:-), but if you call your local IBM BBS you should find this program.
>
>[It is a freeware product, if you decide to use it, the author would
>like some $$$, which is reasonable...]

i can vouch for fansi being nifty.  however it's not exactly freeware.
binaries and an incomplete manual (leaving out the details of ansi
emulation) are freely distributed via bbs's for trial use.  they rely
on the honor system for getting their royalty payments.  the distinction
is that they really do expect payments, not voluntary contributions.
	wayne hamilton