[net.micro.pc] Hidden Files and RAM disks

josephs@ttidcb.UUCP (Bill Josephs) (09/03/85)

     I have RAM disk software for my 640K AT&T 6300.  The easiest  way
to  initialize  seems  to  be  by using a diskcopy a: c: after bootup.
However that copies the hidden files and  COMMAND.COM.   Seems  to  me
that  at  least  the  hidden  files should not be necessary since I'll
never be booting from the RAM disk.  I've written a little program  to
turn  off  the  hidden,  system and read only bits from IBMBIO.COM and
IBMDOS.COM and then to delete them.  Anyone  see  any  problem?   What
about deleting COMMAND.COM?  bootup COM diskcopy IBMBIO IBMDOS

edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) (09/05/85)

In article <451@ttidcb.UUCP> josephs@ttidcb.UUCP (Bill Josephs) writes:

>     I have RAM disk software for my 640K AT&T 6300.  The easiest  way
>to  initialize  seems  to  be  by using a diskcopy a: c: after bootup.

This only works if the ramdisk is an exact copy of a floppy disk,
pseudo-tracks and sectors.  I'm surprised that it does, even in that
case, but OK, if it works, it seems a fast way to do things.

>However that copies the hidden files and  COMMAND.COM.   Seems  to  me
>that  at  least  the  hidden  files should not be necessary since I'll
>never be booting from the RAM disk.

Right.  IBMBIO and IBMDOS are not needed after you boot.

>I've written a little program  to
>turn  off  the  hidden,  system and read only bits from IBMBIO.COM and
>IBMDOS.COM and then to delete them.  Anyone  see  any  problem?

Sounds good to me!

>What about deleting COMMAND.COM?

Command.Com is reloaded when you run BIG programs.  It's location is
taken from the environment variable, COMSPEC.  If that variable is left
as A:COMMAND.COM, then OK, erase it from the ramdisk, but a better
solution would be to do  'set COMSPEC=C:\COMMAND.COM' so it will be
available quickly, when needed.

>bootup COM diskcopy IBMBIO IBMDOS

What?

Hope I've helped.  Feel free to question again by net or mail.

				-ed greenberg

--

UUCP: {hplabs,dual,ptsfa}!well!micropro!edg