[net.micro.pc] anyone modified their power supply?

johnhi@tekig5.UUCP (John Higley) (09/12/85)

[posting this for the boss]

Has anyone modified a standard 63 Watt IBM power supply to get a few more
watts to run a hard disk?
					John Higley
					...tektronix!tekig5!johnhi

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (09/16/85)

In article <234@tekig5.UUCP> johnhi@tekig5.UUCP (John Higley) writes:
>[posting this for the boss]
>
>Has anyone modified a standard 63 Watt IBM power supply to get a few more
>watts to run a hard disk?
>					John Higley
>					...tektronix!tekig5!johnhi

There are many distributers now selling replacement power supplies for the
IBM PC.  The typical wattage I have been seeing is 140W.  It may be possible
to modify the original supply that came with your PC, but I don't think it
would be worth the trouble (you could risk destroying many of the chips in
your PC if the modifications caused the supply to go over-voltage for example).
Another advantage to replacing the supply is that the replacements have more
power cables (3 or 4 is typical) than the 2 that come on the standard PC
supply.  Check ads in the PC mags or Computer Shopper.  Just like all the
other PC accessories, the prices of these have been dropping as the volume
of the sales has been rising.
--
                  Al Schwartz
                  Pacesetter Systems, Inc.,  Sylmar, CA