[net.micro.pc] xenix doscp cmd

koenker@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (09/05/85)

Has anyone out there successfully used the xenix command doscp
to copy xenix files to a dos diskette?  Is there something magical,
or is this a feature without function, or am I just having a long
string of bad luck trying various options.
				Roger Koenker
				ihnp4!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!koenker
				koenker@uiucuxc

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (09/09/85)

In article <21900080@uiucuxc> koenker@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>Has anyone out there successfully used the xenix command doscp
>to copy xenix files to a dos diskette?  Is there something magical,
>or is this a feature without function, or am I just having a long
>string of bad luck trying various options.

The doscp program works as advertised, except that (on the IBM version)
the DOS files must be specified IN UPPER CASE (the manual is wrong.)
Note that the Xenix format command won't do, you must format the disks
under DOS.  And, the filenames must be legal for DOS; .mailrc and
foo.bar.baz fail.  Here are some lines from a Makefile:

FLOP = B:
	doscp -r yamk.exe B:
	doscp -r yamdemo.exe X:
	doscp -r yamdg.exe X:
doscp:
	doscp -r PC/* $(FLOP)PC
	doscp -r *.mac *.[sch] Makefile setsn $(FLOP)

Definitions for X: and B: are in /etc/default/msdos:
B=/dev/fd148ds9
E=/dev/E
X=/dev/fd096ds15

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

roy@medstar.UUCP (Roy Talledo) (09/10/85)

> Has anyone out there successfully used the xenix command doscp
> to copy xenix files to a dos diskette?  Is there something magical,
> or is this a feature without function, or am I just having a long
> string of bad luck trying various options.

Yes!  I do that all of the time because I move files between Xenix and DOS
almost every day.  The command format that I use is:

	doscp filename /dev/fd048ds9

I can even read the diskette on an XT.  I use a standard DS/DD diskette
formatted under DOS 3.1.  Never had any problems...

Roy

--
Roy A. Talledo

Medical Systems Technology & Research (MedSTAR)
Atlanta, GA

uucp:  ..!{akgua,gatech}!medstar!roy

farmer@ICO.UUCP (09/11/85)

When writing to dos disks, it took me a long time before I realized that the
message "cannot open ..." was due to the fact that the permissions on
/dev/fd... were read only.  I had great success once I su'ed to root.  I
probably could just change the permissions, but haven't bothered.

Dave Farmer
p.s. This is my first response, so I don't know what the path is going to be.

papke@dicomed.UUCP (Kurt Papke) (09/18/85)

In article <235@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>In article <21900080@uiucuxc> koenker@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA writes:
>>
>>Has anyone out there successfully used the xenix command doscp
>>to copy xenix files to a dos diskette?  Is there something magical,
>>or is this a feature without function, or am I just having a long
>>string of bad luck trying various options.
>
>The doscp program works as advertised, except that (on the IBM version)
>the DOS files must be specified IN UPPER CASE (the manual is wrong.)
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not necessarily.  DOS actually does allow upper/lower case file names,
but "dir" displays everything in upper case.  The editor I use (wordvision)
does allow you to create file names with lower case, and Xenix reads them
fine.

>Note that the Xenix format command won't do, you must format the disks
>under DOS.  And, the filenames must be legal for DOS; .mailrc and
>foo.bar.baz fail.  Here are some lines from a Makefile:
> (makefile stuff)
>

>Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
>Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
>Home of Professional-YAM, the most powerful COMM program for the IBM PC
>Voice: 503-621-3406     Modem: 503-621-3746 (Hit CR's for speed detect)
>omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp

His problem may also be the protection on the "/dev/fd*" files.  After
my Xenix was installed Xenix would let me read from the flops, but not
write.  Checking the protection mask found that these files were read-only
for non-system access.  "chmoding" them to 666 solved the problem.

	Kurt

"Old engineers don't die, they just become programmers"