[net.micro.pc] ipm-pc-xt termcap

rlj@ncsu.UUCP (Rick Johnson) (09/16/85)

could someone mail me a termcap entry for the ibm-pc-xt or suggest
a suitable termcap entry to use from the 4.2 BSD termcap distribution?
thanks.

--

Rick Johnson   (decvax!mcnc!ncsu!rlj)

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (09/17/85)

In article <2932@ncsu.UUCP>, rlj@ncsu.UUCP (Rick Johnson) writes:
> could someone mail me a termcap entry for the ibm-pc-xt...

	You neglect to mention what mode of communication you are using.
Most popular terminal emulation programs use a specific terminal type,
typically vt-100 or vt-52. Kermit does best as a h19 which is a vt52
superset. (or is that an h19?). Another possibility is a "dumb" terminal
emulator using ANSI.SYS. This is a poor solution as the driver is slow
(look in fansi console as an alternative), but it can be done.
Termcap for this combo is usually available under the name ansi, but may
need a doctor.
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

brown@nicmad.UUCP (09/19/85)

In article <2932@ncsu.UUCP> rlj@ncsu.UUCP (Rick Johnson) writes:
>could someone mail me a termcap entry for the ibm-pc-xt or suggest
>a suitable termcap entry to use from the 4.2 BSD termcap distribution?
>thanks.

The IBM-PC or XT (or clones) are NOT terminals.  The RS-232 port doesn't
even work unless you 1) bought an optional card and 2) got some software
to allow the PC to become a terminal.

Most emulators are of the VT100 type.  They appear to be the most popular.
So, to recap, it isn't the PC that needs the termcap entry, but the terminal
emulation software that needs the termcap.

Hope this makes a difference.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown