[net.micro.pc] IBM Bulletin Board Software

5132ts2@hound.UUCP (T.SCHONFELD) (08/25/85)

I have seen a number of postings pertaining to IBM bulletin board
software. The following information has been brought to my attention, and I am
relaying it to the NET:

Bytemaster Software is selling their popular BMBBS software (out for the Apple
II series of computers for almost two years) for the IBM series now (Pc,Pc Jr.,
XT and AT). The package includes most standard BBS features including pass-
words, downloads, userlog, chat and many utilities for the sysops. The cost
is $74.95 plus shipping ($2). You can contact Bytemaster at their BBS
at 201-992-9893 or write to them at:
Bytemaster Software
P.O. Box 366
Livingston, NJ 07039

indra@utai.UUCP (Indra Laksono) (08/27/85)

> I have seen a number of postings pertaining to IBM bulletin board
> software. The following information has been brought to my attention, and I am
> relaying it to the NET:
>
> Bytemaster Software is selling their popular BMBBS software (out for the Apple
> II series of computers for almost two years) for the IBM series now (Pc,Pc Jr.,
> XT and AT). The package includes most standard BBS features including pass-
> words, downloads, userlog, chat and many utilities for the sysops. The cost
> is $74.95 plus shipping ($2). You can contact Bytemaster at their BBS
> at 201-992-9893 or write to them at:
> Bytemaster Software
> P.O. Box 366
> Livingston, NJ 07039

What does this have that FIDO doesn't have already?  FIDO is public domain,
but the amount of docs encourage you to send for it from the author.

..{allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo}!utcsri!utai!indra

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (08/27/85)

]From: 5132ts2@hound.UUCP (T.SCHONFELD)
]
]Bytemaster Software is selling their popular BMBBS software (out for the Apple
]II series of computers for almost two years) for the IBM series now (Pc,Pc Jr.,
]XT and AT). The package includes most standard BBS features including pass-
]words, downloads, userlog, chat and many utilities for the sysops. The cost
]is $74.95 plus shipping ($2). You can contact Bytemaster at their BBS
]at 201-992-9893 or write to them at:
]Bytemaster Software
]P.O. Box 366
]Livingston, NJ 07039

I certainly hope it is better than the version for the Apple. A couple of
the local boards are running this software. In some ways it's very good,
but seems to have some serious limitations- like no protocol file
transfers!

The best BBS software for the PC I've seen is FIDO. (I don't run one, but
they are the *nicest* systems to call.)

Does anyone know of an IBM BBS running under TBBS (The Bread Board System)?
This is a system which originated on the TRS-80 and was ported to the PC
and to CP/M. (It was the nicest TRS-80 system to call.)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Silly quote:
	Son, you're mixing ponderables again...

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (09/03/85)

In article <673@utai.UUCP>, indra@utai.UUCP (Indra Laksono) writes:
> What does this have that FIDO doesn't have already?  FIDO is public domain,
> but the amount of docs encourage you to send for it from the author.
> ..{allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo}!utcsri!utai!indra

OK, then -- who's the author? And where?
--

"We don't serve their kind here!"
"Huh?"

		Robert Plamondon
		{turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (09/17/85)

> In article <673@utai.UUCP>, indra@utai.UUCP (Indra Laksono) writes:
> > What does this have that FIDO doesn't have already?  FIDO is public domain,
> > but the amount of docs encourage you to send for it from the author.
> > ..{allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo}!utcsri!utai!indra

There is one thing FIDO doesn't have that I'd like: the ability to run a
second program from inside itself. I have a couple of programs I'd like to
be able to call remotely & I'd like a bit more protection than CTTY COM1:
and a bit less money than UULINK. Speaking of which: I'd think UULINK would
make a real hot BBS program if there were a restricted shell type version.

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (09/22/85)

It's actually trivial to set up "restricted shells" within UULINK.  Since
every remote login user can be directed (if desired) to any desired program
(including COMMAND.COM, which is the general case) people are free to set
up whatever they want for remote users.  One UULINK user threw together a
very simple "restricted shell" and sent it to me (it's only a couple of
screens worth of code).  I decided not to try include such programs in the
current package itself since different persons would have different ideas
of the sorts of restrictions, and levels of restriction checking and other
"shell" features, that they really wanted for remote access users.
If I can find a general purpose "restricted shell" that isn't too large
I may decide to include it in the package.  However, in any case, it is very
simple right now to set up individual UULINK logins to run specific
programs rather than COMMAND.COM, and (as the UULINK user I mentioned
above demonstrated) programs for more elaborate restrictions on what
can be remotely run (e.g. "restricted shells") are very simple to
write and drop directly into the existing UULINK remote access
facilities if desired.

--Lauren--

bet@ecsvax.UUCP (Bennett E. Todd III) (09/23/85)

In article <206@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>            ...                    I have a couple of programs I'd like to
>be able to call remotely & I'd like a bit more protection than CTTY COM1:
>and a bit less money than UULINK. Speaking of which: I'd think UULINK would
>make a real hot BBS program if there were a restricted shell type version.

UULINK is distinctly steep for a RBBS system; I think it is also very
reasonably priced for an MS-DOS implementation of UUCP/netmail/netnews.
The remote login capability is, according to Lauren, not intended for
secure multi-user access, but just to allow you to check mail from home.
I wanted to be able to give others logins for mail, and wrote a
restricted shell. Since the login program can be a .BAT file (use
REMOTE.BAT as a template) and you can start up whatever program you
like, write a trivial shell that only allows whatever commands you want.
I can give you mine of you like. Lauren isn't too interested in trying
to go too far with secure remote login, since the MS-DOS EXEC() code has
timing window bugs, and DOS's process structure doesn't allow much short
of a reboot to prevent a program from changing the resulting run-time
environment.
-Bennett
--

"Hypocrisy is the vaseline of social intercourse." (Who said that?)

Bennett Todd -- Duke Computation Center, Durham, NC 27706-7756; (919) 684-3695
UUCP: ...{decvax,seismo,philabs,ihnp4,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!duccpc!bet

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (09/24/85)

The key point is that it is certainly possible for people to set up
any UULINK remote login user to run whatever programs might be desired.

My primary goal in remote access was to make sure that the primary UULINK
remote access program itself could be run safely and reliably.
Later, I added "generalized" remote access capabilities for
other programs that people might want to run remotely, but it should
be remembered that "generalized" remote access is always a problem with
MSDOS due to the way many programs behave (e.g. playing around with
memory in odd ways, etc.) and the lack of memory protection in MSDOS.

There is no problem if properly written programs are executed automatically
for particular remote login users.  The best example of this is the
UULINK "uucico" remote access program itself which is the most commonly
run program for incoming callers.  This program takes direct control of
the COM ports and is very secure and reliable on the system since it was
written with remote access in mind from the start.  Running the UULINK
"uucico" via remote login is very secure.  In fact, it provides
a higher level of security than is found on many Unix systems.  The program
takes great pains to preserve the runtime environment of the system and keep
MSDOS running smoothly.  It was this program that was my primary
concern for remote access, but I decided to allow more "generalized"
remote access as well for whatever "special" applications people might
want remote login users to be able to run.  It is of course up to the
people who set up these remote users to determine what sorts of users
(and programs) they want to allow to access their systems, and through
what sorts of control programs.

More detailed questions on this topic should probably be sent to
me directly--I think we're starting to get into too much detail
for this newsgroup.

--Lauren--