[net.micro.pc] Terrible service from Microsoft

sinclair@aero.ARPA (William S. Sinclair) (09/13/85)

I was trying to get a simple question answered about their compiler, so I
called their support number. I was put on hold for 45 minutes, listening to
that dippy music, before someone answered.

Is there any way we can put pressure on them to improve their service?

P.S. The Leahy Fortran is much better, and they almost always answer the
phone in a few rings. Sometimes, Tom Leahy answers!!

                                      Bill S.

abm@ptsfa.UUCP (Al Margolis) (09/17/85)

In article <433@aero.ARPA>, sinclair@aero.ARPA (William S. Sinclair) writes:

> I was trying to get a simple question answered about their compiler, so I
> called their support number. I was put on hold for 45 minutes, listening to
> that dippy music, before someone answered.

I have had the "opportunity" to call several times lately for Pascal 3.3
support.  My hold times were well under 5 minutes.  BTW: they were very
helpful for questions that were clearly language & compiler related, but
stand-offish (sp?) for questions that were on the line between the
compiler & DOS.

Al Margolis
Pacific Bell  {ihnp4, dual} !ptsfa!abm

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (09/18/85)

Telephone service is expensive and inefficient.  The smart companies are using
the on-line services to provide software support.  You can leave your question
at any time without being put on hold, and you'll usually get an answer very
quickly, as well as access to other endusers of the product you're interested
in.

Try the Microsoft SIG on CompuServe for support next time.  Just as for
MicroPro products I recommend my MicroPro Forum on CompuServe.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

pwv@fluke.UUCP (Pat Vilbrandt) (09/20/85)

> From: sinclair@aero.ARPA (William S. Sinclair)

> I was trying to get a simple question answered about their compiler, so I
> called their support number. I was put on hold for 45 minutes, listening to
> that dippy music, before someone answered.

I concur.  I have an old, dusty, grungy copy of the Microsoft Macro
Assembler version 1.00 that was performing rather poorly, so I contacted
Microsoft Customer Support (I only had to listen to the music for 5 minutes,
I must have been *lucky*!).  They weren't sure about the cause of the
problem (Ya, that version did some strange things... ), but said that I
should upgrade to version 3.00.  I was underwhelmed with confidence.
Yes, for *just* $70.00 and my old disk, I could get a Newer! Faster! Better!
Whiter! Macro Assembler.  Oh well, it was better than paying $150.00 for
the assembler outright.  They took my name and address to send be the proper
forms.

Well, after more than a week had passed with no forms, I called Cust. Support
again, reexplained what I needed, gave my name and address, etc. etc. etc.

Another week later, What's This?  A letter from Microsoft?  They finally got
it right.  Rrriiipppp!  "Yes you can upgrade your version of the Microsoft
Macro Assembler from 3.00 to 3.01!!"  Damn.  Other expletives.  Wrong form.

I went out and *bought* a copy of 3.01, full price.

> Is there any way we can put pressure on them to improve their service?

I wish.

P.S.  Are you listening, Microsoft?

--

   Pat Vilbrandt
   John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

eric@uvacs.UUCP (Eric Holtman) (09/20/85)

> I was trying to get a simple question answered about their compiler, so I
> called their support number. I was put on hold for 45 minutes, listening to
> that dippy music, before someone answered.
>
> Is there any way we can put pressure on them to improve their service?
>
> P.S. The Leahy Fortran is much better, and they almost always answer the
> phone in a few rings. Sometimes, Tom Leahy answers!!
>
>                                       Bill S.

I must admit, Microsoft does seem to have a problem with the long
periods of time for which you have to hold. However, once you get to
a service rep, they usually are really on the ball. Once, when I was
doing some Fortran consulting that required a call to Microsoft, the
engineer I got was extremely helpful (in fact, he told me more about
the problem then I cared to know).

MY REAL BITCH HOWEVER, is with XENIX support for the IBM/AT. YOU **CAN'T**
call the XENIX people directly, you have to call you local ComputerLand
type store from which you bought XENIX, tell them your problem, then they
call XENIXland, and then call you back. I spent about 4 f&')ing days tryng
to solve a SIMPLE PROBLEM because of this STUPID attitude....

			eric

matt@prism.UUCP (09/24/85)

> /* Written  4:37 pm  Sep 19, 1985 by pwv@vax1 in prism:net.micro.pc */
>
> > From: sinclair@aero.ARPA (William S. Sinclair)
> > Is there any way we can put pressure on them to improve their service?
>
> I wish.
>
> /* End of text from prism:net.micro.pc */

Sure there is - stop buying their buggy, substandard, virtually
unsupported products, and innundate them with letters explaining that
until they improve their product support, you, your employer, and all of
your friends are boycotting all Microsoft products.  You'd be amazed what
serious market pressure can do (though I'll grant there's not much chance
of getting enough people involved to make a dent in Microsoft profits.)

In any case, for almost any Microsoft product (except DOS) there exists a
competing product that is as good or better.  For assemblers, I recommend
Pasm-86 from Phoenix Software Associates (Norwood, MA).  It's source code
compatible with MASM 3.01, assembles programs in half the time, and seems
to have many fewer bugs.

 Matt Landau            {cca, ihnp4, inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12}...
 Mirror Systems, Inc.                                   ...mirror!prism!matt
 Cambridge, MA		(617) 661-0777