[net.micro.pc] AT&T compatible peripherals

xxajtxx@hou2d.UUCP (A.THANGARAJ) (09/25/85)

<<<<<<<%%%%%%%######|||||$$$$!!!&&(line^eater)&&!!!$$$$|||||######%%%%%%%>>>>>>>
>From: more1@ihuxi.UUCP (Ryan)
>I am seriously considering purchasing an AT&T 6300 PC.  My
>question is this:  Is it possible to interconnect the 6300
>via a modem to a Kaypro PC.  The Kaypro operates with the
>CPM operating system and the 6300 utilizes MSDOS.
>
>Another question is:  What printers, both letter quality
>and dot matrix, are compatible with both the Kaypro and
>the 6300, if any?
>
>I presently own a Kaypro, with a Juki letter quality
>printer and am interested in purchasing the 6300 for
>my father who lives in Seattle.  It would be ideal if
>we could communicate via a modem (which modem?) and
>for him to be able to print his material utilizing my
>printer.  Is this feasible or even possible?  As
>mentioned above, is there a modem that would allow
>us to communicate?
>
>Please respond to these question via the net.micro.pc
>news network.  There may be others with the same
>questions.

I have successfully transferred files between a COMPAQ and a COMMODORE-64
using modems, and you should be able to do the same between the KAYPRO and the
PC6300. First, you have to find modems that work with each computer, and
communications software for each computer. The two modems can be quite
different: I had a Rixon on the Compaq and a C-1600 modem on the Commodore.
The communications software on the two computers can also be different.
If you want secure file transfer, just make sure that both communications
programs support the same error-checking protocol (eg., XMODEM or KERMIT).
Any modem and software that work on IBM-PC compatibles ought to work with
the PC6300. BYTE magazine has ads for a lot of them. Ask any Kaypro dealer
for a modem and software that works with the Kaypro.

A more difficult problem is the word processor to be used on each machine.
If you use different wordprocessing software on each, then you cannot easily
print text files created on one machine on a printer attached to the other
machine. I used EASYSCRIPT on the Commodore to create the text files. Then I
transferred them to the Compaq and used WORDSTAR to edit the files. I had to
change all the Easyscript formatting commands to Wordstar formatting commands
before printing. Then I removed the floppy disk from the Compaq and inserted it
into an IBM PC attached to a Diablo printer, and printed the files on the
Diablo. Once again, I had to have Wordstar on the IBM-PC to print the files.
You may be able to find two versions of the same wordprocessor (a CPM version
and an MSDOS version) to run on the Kaypro and the 6300 respectively. Then
your father could transfer his files to you over the phone, using a modem, and
you could print them on your Juki. Of course, the wordprocessor you find should
also be able to support the Juki!

One thing that you might want to look into, also, is whether there is
communications software for the Kaypro that lets your father dial into it and
initiate file transfer as well as printing of files from his end. That way, you
can leave the machine on and go away and he could do everything himself. I know
it can be done on the UNIX PC 7300. I have dialed into a 7300, from my 6300,
uploaded a file, nroffed it and and printed it, while the owner of the 7300 was
busy doing something else (the 7300 is a multi-tasking machine; it can do 8
different things at the same time)!

One final thought: Considering the amount you'll be spending on buying two
versions of the same wordprocessor, two modems and two communications programs
(and on phone calls for file transfer) you might as well buy your father a
printer. There are letter quality printers available for under $400 today,
that work with IBM PC compatibles like the 6300 and are supported by
wordprocessing software. Check your local catalog/discount/computer store,
or 47th St. Photo in NYC (800-221-7774). That way your father won't have to
bother with dialing in to your PC, transferring the file and asking you to
print it for him. He could print it locally, by himself!
                                                                      ....arun.
Suite HR1K228           /   *   \       _       /   *   \        all views are
480 Red Hill Rd        |* * H * *|   <(GSP)>   |* * R * *|       my own, etc...
Middletown NJ 07724    |    *    |Garden State |    *    |
hou2d!xxajtxx        |    R E D    |Exit 114 |   H I L L   |       ..the future
201-949-9127      |R E Q U I E M   B Y   T H E   P A R K W A Y|    lies in PC's