[net.micro.pc] How does a program detect disks on

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/01/85)

hmm this al==5 biz is interesting... i've spent some time looking
at disassemblies of ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com (V3.0), and i've
noticed several 6-element arrays indexed by drive#.  i always
thought it was possible to have as many as 26 drives, so this was
puzzling.  if i get real ambitious, i'll split up my ram disk and
see what happens after i create a 6th drive.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/03/85)

>From: hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU
>
>hmm this al==5 biz is interesting... i've spent some time looking
>at disassemblies of ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com (V3.0), and i've
>noticed several 6-element arrays indexed by drive#.  i always
>thought it was possible to have as many as 26 drives, so this was
>puzzling.  if i get real ambitious, i'll split up my ram disk and
>see what happens after i create a 6th drive.

I don't know the whole story, but as I understand it a new config.sys
option was added with Dos 3.x. It is called, I think, LASTDRIVE and is of
the form

	LASTDRIVE=letter

where 'letter' is the last drive letter to search. The default is 'E' which
is why al==5.

By the way, it is possible to have more than 26 drives. After Z:, however,
the names become too bizarre to use easily. You get stuff like ]: as a drive
name. (I once did this on a 384k machine , setting up ~30 5k ramdisks.)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	"Are we gonna be starcrossed lovers or just good friends?"