[net.micro.pc] hard disk monitor

rdg@allegra.UUCP (Ron Gordon) (09/21/85)

when ms-dos has a problem reading a sector from a floppy or from
the hard disk, it retries up to 5 times.  trouble is, it does not
warn you when it recovers after, say, 3 or 4 attempts.  one would
like to know when this is going on, since it is an early warning
of disk problems.

one of the pc magazines published a short article with code to patch
ms-dos so that it would report as it retried disk operations.
can anyone provide a pointer to the article?  has anyone actually
implemented this?  experience?  thanks, -ron gordon (allegra!rdg)

schuler@gondor.UUCP (David W. Schuler) (09/25/85)

> when ms-dos has a problem reading a sector from a floppy or from
> the hard disk, it retries up to 5 times.  trouble is, it does not
> warn you when it recovers after, say, 3 or 4 attempts.  one would
> like to know when this is going on, since it is an early warning
> of disk problems.
>
> one of the pc magazines published a short article with code to patch
> ms-dos so that it would report as it retried disk operations.
> can anyone provide a pointer to the article?  has anyone actually
> implemented this?  experience?  thanks, -ron gordon (allegra!rdg)

I would also like a copy E-mail or post to net.

David W. Schuler           {akgua,allegra,ihnp4}!psuvax1!psuvaxg!schuler
Penn State University      schuler@psuvax1.bitnet
      	                                           +--+  +--+  +  +
		           Home of the 1982        |  |  |     |  |
1985 Season 2-0            National Champion       +--+  +--+  |  |
     (so far)              Nittany Lions           |        |  |  |
						   +     +--+  +--+
"...on the loftiest throne in the world we are still sitting only on our
 own rear." - Montaigne

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (09/28/85)

In article <1816@gondor.UUCP> schuler@gondor.UUCP (David W. Schuler) writes:
>> when ms-dos has a problem reading a sector from a floppy or from
>> the hard disk, it retries up to 5 times.  trouble is, it does not
>> warn you when it recovers after, say, 3 or 4 attempts.  one would
>> like to know when this is going on, since it is an early warning
>> of disk problems.
>>
>> one of the pc magazines published a short article with code to patch
>> ms-dos so that it would report as it retried disk operations.
>> can anyone provide a pointer to the article?  has anyone actually
>> implemented this?  experience?  thanks, -ron gordon (allegra!rdg)
>
>I would also like a copy E-mail or post to net.
>
>--
The article you are talking about (I think) is that in Volume 4, No. 12
(June 11, 1985) of PC Magazine. It is in the PROGRAMMING column on p.
263. The program is called DSKWATCH, and attaches itself to DOS,
intercepting all disk errors, even those that don't make it to the
Abort, Retry... thing (that is after 5 errors). The article gives an
extensive description of the program, and disk errors in general. I have
been using the program ever since I got the magazine in the mail, and it
works beuatifully! I really don't known what I did without it! It tells
you the following errors (w/ brief blurb by me):

NO RESPONSE  - no signals recieved from drive (ie door open)
FAILED SEEK  - something interfered w/ locating data on disk
NEC ERROR    - PC has recieved bad data from NEC disk controller. bad.
BAD CRC SEEN - Bad CRC found
DMA OVERRUN  - PC was so busy that it denied NEC chip access to data
IMPOS SECTOR - Tried to read/write sector that ain't there
NO ADDR MARK - NEC lost its place
W. PROTECTED - Write protected disk
ERR UNKNOWN  - Bad news. No-one knows what the heck is going on. Start
               looking for your service contract...

Well, hope this helps... --ERIK.

PS - if you need source, I will post it.

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (10/03/85)

In article <2892@think.ARPA> ejb@think.UUCP (Erik Bailey) writes:
>In article <1816@gondor.UUCP> schuler@gondor.UUCP (David W. Schuler) writes:
>>> when ms-dos has a problem reading a sector from a floppy or from
>>> the hard disk, it retries up to 5 times.  trouble is, it does not
>>> warn you when it recovers after, say, 3 or 4 attempts.  one would
>>> like to know when this is going on, since it is an early warning
>>> of disk problems.
>>>
>>> one of the pc magazines published a short article with code to patch
>>> ms-dos so that it would report as it retried disk operations.
>>> can anyone provide a pointer to the article?  has anyone actually
>>> implemented this?  experience?  thanks, -ron gordon (allegra!rdg)

>The article you are talking about (I think) is that in Volume 4, No. 12
>(June 11, 1985) of PC Magazine. It is in the PROGRAMMING column on p.
>263. The program is called DSKWATCH, and attaches itself to DOS,
>intercepting all disk errors, even those that don't make it to the
>Abort, Retry... thing (that is after 5 errors). The article gives an
>extensive description of the program, and disk errors in general. I have
>been using the program ever since I got the magazine in the mail, and it
>works beuatifully! I really don't known what I did without it! It tells
>you the following errors (w/ brief blurb by me):
>
>NO RESPONSE  - no signals recieved from drive (ie door open)
>FAILED SEEK  - something interfered w/ locating data on disk
>NEC ERROR    - PC has recieved bad data from NEC disk controller. bad.
>BAD CRC SEEN - Bad CRC found
>DMA OVERRUN  - PC was so busy that it denied NEC chip access to data
>IMPOS SECTOR - Tried to read/write sector that ain't there
>NO ADDR MARK - NEC lost its place
>W. PROTECTED - Write protected disk
>ERR UNKNOWN  - Bad news. No-one knows what the heck is going on. Start
>               looking for your service contract...
>
>Well, hope this helps... --ERIK.
>
>PS - if you need source, I will post it.

Ok, looks like I'll have to eat my words here... response has been
rather greater than I anticipated, so it looks like I'll have to get my
act together, and find the source. HOWEVER - this may take awhile. I
REFUSE to type in the listing in PC magazine, so the way I'd get it is
through PC MAg's RBBS (PC-IRS [Interactive Reader Service]). IF you can
get it from there, great. But it might take me a while to grab it, as I
call BBS's VERY rarely. BUT - I *WILL* do it. Don't flame at me! BTW -
the number to the BBS is (212) 696-0360. It runs standard RBBS-PC,
although the msg section is disabled. Hope this helps all you
disk-error-prone-and-or-paranoid-and-or-anything-else-having-to-do-with-disks
people! And remember - I WILL post the source...eventually.

Good luck.

--Erik Bailey

PS - I have no connection with PC Magazine; just a happy subscriber.

gbs@voder.UUCP (George Smith) (10/04/85)

> >PS - if you need source, I will post it.
>
> ...so the way I'd get it is
> through PC MAg's RBBS (PC-IRS [Interactive Reader Service]). IF you can
> get it from there, great. But it might take me a while to grab it...
>
> --Erik Bailey

First of all, I must *comment* on Erik's offer to post the source
without having a machine readable copy of it.  This is not a flame,
it is just an expression of extreme (and possibly naive) disbelief
that someone would make this offer and not be able to fulfill it.
Please people, don't offer to post source when you don't have it.
Second, I have tried calling the Interactive Reader Service on and
off for the last two months and have never gotten anything but a
busy signal.  I have tried at all hours of the day and night without
success.  So good luck, Erik; trying to get the source to fulfill
your promise to the net will be your punishment for making a promise
that you couldn't keep.

--
George B. Smith
National Semiconductor

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/05/85)

]From: ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey)
]
]>The article you are talking about (I think) is that in Volume 4, No. 12
]>(June 11, 1985) of PC Magazine. It is in the PROGRAMMING column on p.
]>263. The program is called DSKWATCH, and attaches itself to DOS,
]>intercepting all disk errors, even those that don't make it to the
]>Abort, Retry... thing (that is after 5 errors). The article gives an
]>extensive description of the program, and disk errors in general. I have
]>been using the program ever since I got the magazine in the mail, and it
]>works beuatifully! I really don't known what I did without it! It tells
]>you the following errors (w/ brief blurb by me):
]>
]>NO RESPONSE  - no signals recieved from drive (ie door open)
]>FAILED SEEK  - something interfered w/ locating data on disk
]>NEC ERROR    - PC has recieved bad data from NEC disk controller. bad.
]>BAD CRC SEEN - Bad CRC found
]>DMA OVERRUN  - PC was so busy that it denied NEC chip access to data
]>IMPOS SECTOR - Tried to read/write sector that ain't there
]>NO ADDR MARK - NEC lost its place
]>W. PROTECTED - Write protected disk
]>ERR UNKNOWN  - Bad news. No-one knows what the heck is going on. Start
]>               looking for your service contract...
]>
]>Well, hope this helps... --ERIK.

Well, here it is. It is a BASIC program which builds a file called
DSKWATCH.COM- a little terminate-and-stay-resident program (probably best
run from autoexec.bat.)

NOTE: This is not a shell archive.

============================== CUT HERE ====================================

5 'Disk watch
10 DIM E$(10):E$(1)="Disk Error: "
20 'Make sure each of the following messages has 12 characters total.
30 E$(2)="No Response ":E$(3)="Failed Seek ":E$(4)="NEC Error   "
40 E$(5)="Bad CRC Seen":E$(6)="DMA Overrun ":E$(7)="Impos Sector"
50 E$(8)="No Addr Mark":E$(9)="W. Protected":E$(10)="Err Unknown "
60 OPEN "DSKWATCH.COM" AS #1 LEN=1
70 PRINT "Creating DSKWATCH.COM"
80 FIELD #1,1 AS BYTE.$:                       'Specify what goes into it
90 FOR N=0 TO 193
100     READ BYTE.%
110     IF BYTE.%<>-1 GOTO 150
120             FOR I=1 TO 10:FOR J=1 TO 12
130             LSET BYTE.$=MID$(E$(I),J,1):PUT#1
140             NEXT J:NEXT I:GOTO 170
150     LSET BYTE.$=CHR$(BYTE.%):              'Load byte into buffer
160    PUT#1:                                  'Write buffer out
170 NEXT N
180 CLOSE#1:                                   'Close file
190 PRINT "DSKWATCH.COM created.":             'And you're done.
200 END
210 DATA 233,251,0,-1,0,0,0,0,0,0
220 DATA 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,156,46
230 DATA 255,30,129,1,156,46,143,6,125,1
240 DATA 114,3,235,63,144,80,81,82,87,86
250 DATA 6,46,141,54,3,1,186,0,176,142
260 DATA 194,46,139,62,127,1,46,3,62,123
270 DATA 1,232,57,0,182,128,185,7,0,58
280 DATA 230,116,15,131,198,12,208,238,226,245
290 DATA 128,252,3,116,3,131,198,12,232,30
300 DATA 0,7,94,95,90,89,88,46,143,6
310 DATA 133,1,46,143,6,135,1,131,196,2
320 DATA 46,255,54,125,1,157,46,255,46,133
330 DATA 1,185,12,0,46,164,176,7,38,136
340 DATA 5,71,226,246,195,184,0,0,142,216
350 DATA 161,76,0,46,163,129,1,161,78,0
360 DATA 46,163,131,1,199,6,76,0,137,1
370 DATA 140,14,78,0,180,15,205,16,128,236
380 DATA 25,208,228,46,136,38,123,1,168,4
390 DATA 117,7,46,199,6,127,1,0,128,186
400 DATA 254,1,205,39

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	"Are we gonna be starcrossed lovers or just good friends?"