[net.micro.pc] AT ROM Question

maciag@spar.UUCP (Chris Maciag) (10/09/85)

In the IBM AT there are two 23256P ROMS on the motherboard.  I know that
BIOS sits in one of these at FE000-FFFFF, but what is the other stuff.
I would like to take a look at what is in these two Roms, and possibly
change them.  Unfortunately, my prom burner will not read a 23256P.  Can
someone tell me the adress range that these two chips fall into so that
I can look at them with debug.

	Thanks in Advance
	-Chris

glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) (10/12/85)

> In the IBM AT there are two 23256P ROMS on the motherboard.  I know that
> BIOS sits in one of these at FE000-FFFFF, but what is the other stuff.
> I would like to take a look at what is in these two Roms, and possibly
> change them.  Unfortunately, my prom burner will not read a 23256P.  Can
> someone tell me the adress range that these two chips fall into so that
> I can look at them with debug.
>
> 	Thanks in Advance
> 	-Chris

The AT has a 16-bit CPU (286) and therefore uses two 8-bit ROMs for the
power-up diagnostics and BIOS.  These ROMs are located at f000:0 - f000:ffff
with the left (U27) ROM having the low (even) address-bytes and the right
(U47) containing the high (odd) bytes.  They are pin-for-pin compatible with
27256 EPROMs but unfortunately not readable by most PROM burners.
The full assembly language code listing with comments is available in the
IBM-AT Technical Reference Manual.
--
^ ^    Glen Shires, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
O O     Usenet: {ucbvax!amd,pur-ee,hplabs}!intelca!glen
 >      ARPA:   "amd!intelca!glen"@BERKELEY
\-/    --- stay mellow

sambo@ukma.UUCP (Father of micro-ln) (10/14/85)

In article <122@intelca.UUCP> glen@intelca.UUCP (Glen Shires) writes:
>They are pin-for-pin compatible with
>27256 EPROMs but unfortunately not readable by most PROM burners.

I don't own an AT nor a PROM burner.  Why wouldn't these EPROMS be readable
by most PROM burners?
__
Samuel A. Figueroa, Dept. of CS, Univ. of KY, Lexington, KY  40506-0027
ARPA: ukma!sambo<@ANL-MCS>, or sambo%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa,
      or even anlams!ukma!sambo@ucbvax.arpa
UUCP: {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!sambo,
      or cbosgd!ukma!sambo

	"Micro-ln is great, if only people would start using it."