[net.music] C/W song

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (12/13/85)

About a year ago I heard a Country Western song that was introduced
as "THE" complete Country Western song.  It had Mom, Home, Christmas
a dog named Blue, trains, trucks and prison in it.  Does anyone
know the title, artist and/or lyrics?  Thanks.

/<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>\
^                                                                          ^
v   Pete Bellas             "When it is not necessary to make a decision,  v
^   Citicorp TTI             it is necessary to not make a decision."      ^
v   Santa Monica, CA                Lord Faukland                          v
^                                                                          ^
v   Path: ...!{randvax | trwrb | philabs | vortex}!ttidca!ttidcb!bellas    v
\<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>/

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (12/16/85)

In article <574@ttidcb.UUCP> bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) writes:

>About a year ago I heard a Country Western song that was introduced
>as "THE" complete Country Western song.  ...

It's David Allan Coe's cover of the late Steve Goodman's song "You
Never Even Call Me By My Name." In it, he says Steve told him it was
the 'perfect' C/W song, but David Allan replied it didn't mention
getting drunk, trains, Mom, trucks, etc. So Steve Goodman wrote an
additional verse that went something like "I was drunk the day I got
out of prison/And I went to pick Mom up at the train station/<something
something> she got run over by a truck in the pouring rain." Or words
to that effect.

By the way, Steve Goodman was an Illinoisan and friend of John Prine.
He also wrote "The City Of New Orleans" and the lovely "Blue Umbrella"
which John Prine covered.

                              -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/18/85)

In article <574@ttidcb.UUCP> bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) writes:
>About a year ago I heard a Country Western song that was introduced
>as "THE" complete Country Western song.  It had Mom, Home, Christmas
>a dog named Blue, trains, trucks and prison in it.  Does anyone
>know the title, artist and/or lyrics?  Thanks.

The song is "Darling, Darling" by Steve Goodman (off his first album).  The
farce verse was added at the request of David Allan Coe, who also recorded
the song, and had a mild hit with it.  Incidentally, there are a number
of farce verses for this song.  I heard Steve do two different ones before
his untimely death.  The one included below is the one that appears on
the Coe album.

	Well, it was all that I could do to keep from crying
	Sometimes it seems so useless to remain
	You're the one who always tried to change me
	That is why I always stay the same

	So I'll hang around as long as you will let me
	I never minded standing in the rain
	You don't have to call me darling, darling
	But you never even call me by my name

	Well, I was drunk the day my Mama got out of prison
	And I went to pick her up in the rain...
	But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
	She got runned over by a damned old train

	And I'll hang around as long as you will let me...

						Darling, Darling
						Steve Goodman

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    FISHNET:  ...!{flounder,crappie,flipper}!srt@fishnet-relay.arpa

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (12/20/85)

> In article <574@ttidcb.UUCP> bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) writes:
>
> >About a year ago I heard a Country Western song that was introduced
> >as "THE" complete Country Western song.  ...
>
> It's David Allan Coe's cover of the late Steve Goodman's song "You
> Never Even Call Me By My Name." In it, he says Steve told him it was
>
> By the way, Steve Goodman was an Illinoisan and friend of John Prine.
> He also wrote "The City Of New Orleans" and the lovely "Blue Umbrella"
> which John Prine covered.
>
>                               -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

don't forget Lincoln park pirates!

					Addison
					ihlpa!ibyf

My brother? I always thought of him as mom and dad's science project.

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David Berry) (12/24/85)

> It's David Allan Coe's cover of the late Steve Goodman's song "You
> Never Even Call Me By My Name." In it, he says Steve told him it was
> the 'perfect' C/W song, but David Allan replied it didn't mention
> getting drunk, trains, Mom, trucks, etc. So Steve Goodman wrote an
> additional verse that went something like "I was drunk the day I got
> out of prison/And I went to pick Mom up at the train station/<something
> something> she got run over by a truck in the pouring rain." Or words
> to that effect.
	I was drunk, the day my mom got out of prison
--

	David W. Berry
	{ucbvax,pyramid,idsvax,bene,oliveb}!tolerant!berry

	[Don't shoot the Tolerant Systems, I'm just the consultant]

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (01/07/86)

> About a year ago I heard a Country Western song that was introduced
> as "THE" complete Country Western song.  It had Mom, Home, Christmas
> a dog named Blue, trains, trucks and prison in it.  Does anyone
> know the title, artist and/or lyrics?  Thanks.

The late Steve Goodman had a song on one of his early albums that sounds
like what you're referring to (I think all those topics are included in
the final verse): "You never call me by my own name" (or something along
that line).

	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598
	{zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,rtech,lll-crg}!varian!david