[net.micro.pc] Graphs in word processors

johnson@noscvax.UUCP (Timothy A. Johnson) (10/10/85)

Does anyone  know of  any  word processors which allow the inclusion of
graphics displays such as charts, etc. with the text. The application is
to be able to place plot output into a document. If you have any leads,
I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

Timothy A. Johnson
Computer Sciences Corporation

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (10/16/85)

In article <50@noscvax.UUCP> johnson@noscvax.UUCP (Timothy A. Johnson) writes:
>Does anyone  know of  any  word processors which allow the inclusion of
>graphics displays such as charts, etc. with the text.

Highly recommend a product called INSET from American Programmer's Guild
in Menlo Park (I think).

There product works as an add-on for just about any word processor.  They
provide a means to grab a graphic screen display, modify it, and include
it with the text of your word processor output.  They trap characters
going to the printer looking for their magic sequence.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development

gjs@inmet.UUCP (10/18/85)

Macs are good at including graphics in documents, and let you control
fonts.

Framework (for IBM PC compatibles) lets you include text, graphs,
spreadsheets, and databases in a document.  Advantages: your input file
includes the actual graph and data, not just a copy of the screen, so
the document is easy to update when the data changes.  Disadvantages:
you're stuck with the kinds of graphs the Framework can produce:  Bar
and stacked bar charts, line and point graphs, and pie charts.

Another feature unique to Framework is its ability to display a rough
version of a graph on a non-graphics monitor.

	-- George Snyder -- Intermetrics, Inc. -- inmet!gjs --