[net.micro.pc] PC-6300 software crash

sds1@hou2f.UUCP (S.SIMON) (10/22/85)

Subject: IBM Personal Editor w/Mouse Systems mouse
Newsgroups: net.micro.pc,att.micro.pc

I'm looking for help in solving why the IBM Personal Editor when
running with Mouse Systems software crashes my AT&T-6300.

The bug is totally random and it has happened more times than I
would like to remember.

The combination of the Personal Editor w/mouse software is too good
to junk.  I use it as an offline text editor on the PC, then upload
the text to Unix for formating and printing.

The bug has happened with version 3.1 and 4.0 of Mouse Systems
software.  When the crash occurs, I either get a DOS message over
my text: command.com error system haulted or the computer just
dies.  In either case I must do a cold boot...I loose
everything..can't use debug to save the text.

The author from Mouse Systems was aware that this
error has occurred before on an IBM-XT.  Because the machine dies,
he hasn't been able to perform a memory dump to figure out what's going
on.  I've been using the Personal Editor for 2 years without a
problem on a regular IBM-PC.

Any solutions for fixing the miserable bug(s) are greatfully
accepted.

				steve simon
				AT&T-Bell Labs
				hou2f!sds1
				201-949-2041

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (10/23/85)

However, I have been able to occasionally circumvent the same DOS error message
by setting up a ram disk, copying command.com to the ram disk and
using set comspec=X:\command.com (where X=ram disk drive letter) in
my autoexec.bat file. (Of course your path statement must also include the
ram disk root directory.)

Hope this helps.

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Labs