[net.micro.pc] AT for $1995

larry@geowhiz.UUCP (Larry McVoy) (11/01/85)

[munch, munch ...  ptew! Yuck, gag, blah! This line tastes bad!]

Does anyone have any experience with a product, from a company called
"PC's Limited" in Austin Texas, called "the PC's Limited AT" ?

The specs are
	o	80286 running @ 6Mhz
		( anyone speeded this up? )
	o	1 Meg of Ram on the mother board
	o	1 parallel, 2 serial ports also on the mother board
	  	( the serial ports are either RS232 or RS422 )
	o	8 expansion slots
	o	192 Watt power supply
	o	hard disk/floppy controller
	o	1.2 Mbyte floppy
	o	AT style keyboard (gak)
	o	Claims 100% compatibility with MS-DOS,
		all versions up to 3.1 work
	o	$1995 price tag

This looks like an AT-68 (the unenhanced version) with 1024K instead of 256K,
an extra serial, a parallel, and no monitor.  My guess is that a monitor and
monitor card can be had for less than $250, a 20 Mbyte disk for ~$500, giving
a full blown AT for around $2750.  Pretty nice.  The question is: does it
work?  Anyone out there have one or know of one?

Thanks in advance,
--
Larry McVoy						+----------------+
							| Slower traffic |

ge@mcnc.UUCP (George Entenman) (11/01/85)

In article <273@geowhiz.UUCP> larry@geowhiz.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with a product, from a company called
>"PC's Limited" in Austin Texas, called "the PC's Limited AT" ?

The October 21, 1985 issue of InfoWorld has an article on PCs Ltd of
Austin on page 16.  Some exerpts:

	"[PC's Ltd.] is being scrutinized by the state Attorney
	General's office following several complaints by dissatisfied
	customers....  Customers have complained about delays in
	shipping and issuance of credit, as well as nondelivery of
	merchandise, according to Allison Hall, a consumer analyst for
	the Texas Attorney General's consumer protection division."

	Hall "... added that the company appears to be making an effort
	to resolve its problems.  'If they can clean up the problem, we
	may not sue'."

	PC's Ltd says that the problems are caused by very rapid growth.

Sounds like a good deal if you can get delivery!  Maybe you should try
C.O.D???