[net.micro.pc] Setting the cursor character for the PC/XT

dnj@linus.UUCP (David N. Juitt) (11/01/85)

Does anyone know how to set the cursor
character on an IBM PC?  I'd like to
get rid of the silly little blinking underline.

OK, I know RTFM right.  Well i read all the manuals
I've got, and I can't find any reference whatsoever.

With my luck, they probably have a dedicated ROM
to force you to use the foolish default.

-----								    -----
Dave Juitt
     					C'mon, that guy's a rutabaga...
UUCP: ..linus!security!dnj                  When he was little, his parents
ARPA:  dnj@mitre-bedford                    used to dress him up as a speedbump.

les@proper.UUCP (Les Kent) (11/04/85)

In article <> dnj@linus.UUCP (David N. Juitt) writes:
>Does anyone know how to set the cursor
>character on an IBM PC?  I'd like to
>get rid of the silly little blinking underline.

In the IBM manual `Technical Reference, Personal Computer AT' on
page 5-127, it gives all the specifications for ROM BIOS INT 10.
This function includes lots of stuff for controlling the video.
Sub-function 1 is the `Set Cursor Type' that allows you to specify
the starting and ending scan line for the cursor.  So you can
change it from underline to a block.  This function also has some
bits dealing with blinking that is passes to the video controller.
Unfortunately it has a note about those bits don't work for changing
the cursor from blinking and might make is disapear.  From what I
remember from a while back they actually do the blinking for the
cursor with seperate hardware and there is no way to change that.

This might only be true with IBM stuff and some of the compatibles
might do it a different way.

Les Kent               	{qantel,dual,amdahl,intelca}!proper!les
Vision Computers	dual!proper!les@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU