[net.micro.pc] Talking to 5-level teletypes for the Deaf: Help.!

polak@brl-sem.ARPA (Helen R. Polak ) (11/05/85)

Problem: he is deaf and has a 5-level teletype
   and   he (my pa-in-law) has an ibm pc-at.

1. Can they communicate over the phonelines?
2. Where can we find the 5 level codes transcribed into computerese?
3. What people/groups work with 5-level to 8-level translation?

A feller' here says it's possible with contortions, but he doesn't
remember/know all the details.
			Thanks for any and all help and references!
			Helen herself <polak@BRL>
My pet beef :-)
"Minute Maid pure orange juice from concentrate....where does the water
come from that they use to reconstitute it?"

jp@lanl.ARPA (11/06/85)

To: polak@brl-sem. Polak
Subject: Re: Talking to 5-level teletypes for the Deaf: Help.!
Newsgroups: net.micro.pc
Bcc:

A good source of information on 5 level codes is the Amateur Radio
Handbook published by the American Radio Relay League of Newington,
Conn.  Copies should be available at your local library or for
purchase at a local radio store.  The ARRL also publishes specialty
books on RTTY (radio teletype) that are highly oriented to baudot.
The Intel 8251 chip has the capability of transmitting 5 bit codes
with an external baud rate generator.

Also, I just remembered, HAL Communications makes a plug in board for
the IBM pc for baudot communications.  They are located in Urbana, IL,
(but are not associated with the movie 2001!) and the phone number is
(217) 367-7373.

Jim Potter  jp@lanl.arpa

ars@burl.UUCP (ars) (11/08/85)

> Problem: he is deaf and has a 5-level teletype
>    and   he (my pa-in-law) has an ibm pc-at.
>
> 1. Can they communicate over the phonelines?
> 2. Where can we find the 5 level codes transcribed into computerese?
> 3. What people/groups work with 5-level to 8-level translation?
>
> A feller' here says it's possible with contortions, but he doesn't
> remember/know all the details.
> 			Thanks for any and all help and references!
> 			Helen herself <polak@BRL>

I am sorry I had to post this to the net but I was unable to mail it
to polak@BRL

1.  Yes, I believe there are telephone networks established for the
deaf.  One minor problem is that a different set of tone is used for
deaf communications than the 103 tones.  I believe the tones are
1400 Hz for mark and 1800 Hz for space.
2.  There are Public Domain RTTY programs available which use the serial
port of the IBM-PC.  These programs provide the BAUDOT-ASCII
conversion.  The program is available on a lot of the bulletin
boards around the country.  I believe I have seen it on the HAM
Radio Net bulletin board at 1-203-665-1114.

I hope this helps.
--
Allen R. Shuff -- AI4G -- 919-228-4318 (Cornet 291)
...![ floyd clyde ihnp4 mhuxv ]!burl!ars