[net.micro.pc] COMPAQ DeskPro Speed Switch

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (09/07/85)

Does anyone know of a way to switch sppeds on a Compaq DeskPro under
SOFTWARE? I have found times when it would be useful to switch speeds
automatically, such as when booting a non-Compaq DOS (ie PC-DOS 3.0).
Also, a flasher program could make a neat attention-getter... BTW -
I have Fansi-Console, so don't recommend that (it does speed switching).

One more question. There is a switch on DIP #1 that is labeled
'compatibility: enhanced features/normal'. Any ideas?

Thanx a lot, and please send replies to the net if they are useful...

--Erik

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (11/09/85)

[Go ahead, eat my day!]

Well, response from my (ancient) plea for DeskPro software speed switching
has finally picked up (2 whole msgs!). Anyway, a couple days ago this
appeared in my mailbox. I immediately tried it, and found that it worked.
I wanted to find out HOW it worked, so I fired up PFIXPLUS (symbolic
debugger), and traced the code through. But, not knowing a thing about
8086 ASM, I was unable to extract the relavent part of MODE.COM to do
the switch. Can anyone do this? Unfortunately I cannot post ASM to MODE,
as (I assume) it is copyrighted by Compaq. Well, here is the msg, and
THANKS to Fred McClimans (?) for this bit of undocumented info. --Erik

----------------------------Fold, staple, mutilate--------------------------

Date: 7 Nov 85 10:52 EST
From: McClimans@DDN2.ARPA
Subject: Compaq MODE command
To: ejb@think.com
Cc: McClimans@DDN2.ARPA

After putting in some time last night on the Compaq dilemma, I came up with
this:
                  MODE SPEED=<FAST/COMMON>

I don't know if you already hit on this (it isn't in the Compaq doc's), but
it is interesting none the less.  The next step is to break it down.
- Fred

--

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.
ejb@think.com.arpa    (617) 643-0732              Cambridge, MA)

"I was walking in a forest one day and a tree fell in front of me,
 and I didn't hear it."