[net.micro.pc] Xenix System V from SCO for PC AT

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (11/12/85)

Anyone have any experience with the new System V Xenix on the PC AT
from Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) ??  Will executable files from
IBM Xenix work without recompilation ??  We're considering switching
from IBM Xenix just because they (SCO) appear to be the only firm
interested in supporting the product (IBM and Microsoft sure don't
want to provide any support).

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (11/13/85)

In article <277@hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
>Anyone have any experience with the new System V Xenix on the PC AT
>from Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) ??  Will executable files from
>IBM Xenix work without recompilation ??  We're considering switching
>from IBM Xenix just because they (SCO) appear to be the only firm
>interested in supporting the product (IBM and Microsoft sure don't
>want to provide any support).

SCO SYS V Xenix executes most of the IBM Xenix files without modification,
except for one or two that get intimate with dialout serial ports.
Since the new version is pretty much a superset of the old IBM version,
the only programs that should give any trouble would be your own, which
can be recompiled.

To describe the SCO SYS V version in a nutshell, it is about halfway
between the Microsoft/IBM version and where Xenix on an AT should be.
The real solution will be a 386 plug in for the AT.

BTW, the Professional-YAM communications program is alive and well on
SCO SYS V.  I don't know if cu works (haven't even tried it ...), but
uucp works right out of the box without any patches.  I've put my old
superhacked uucico to rest ...

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231