[net.micro.pc] one finger typing routine???

ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP (Todd H. Ogasawara) (11/07/85)

We have a user who, due to a severe illness, can only use a single finger
to type.  This means this person cannot execute ALT and CTRL sequences
necessary to use many IBM PC based application programs.  If you have or know
of a resident program which will intercept the keyboard to allow this user
to execute such sequences by, for instance, first pressing ALT, releasing it,
then pressing A to execute ALT-A, please tell me about it.

Thanks in advance...todd

Todd Ogasawara, Computer Sciences Corp.
NOSC-Hawaii Laboratories

UUCPmail: {akgua,allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!noscvax!ogasawar
MILNET:   OGASAWAR@NOSC

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (11/09/85)

In article <88@noscvax.UUCP> ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP (Todd H. Ogasawara) writes:
>We have a user who, due to a severe illness, can only use a single finger
>to type.  This means this person cannot execute ALT and CTRL sequences
>necessary to use many IBM PC based application programs.  If you have or know
>of a resident program which will intercept the keyboard to allow this user
>to execute such sequences by, for instance, first pressing ALT, releasing it,
>then pressing A to execute ALT-A, please tell me about it.

There are several programs that support this. This feature is often built
into key redefinition programs, and is present in the two best known: Prokey
form RoseSoft, and Superkey from Borland International. I personally reccomend
SuperKey, as it not only costs less, but has a better user interface and some
neat features. It is available for ~$69.95 from Borland, and can be found in
many mail order outlets. Hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER = I have no relation to anyone.
--

_   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
 -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_-

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.
ejb@think.com.arpa    (617) 643-0732              Cambridge, MA)

"I was walking in a forest one day and a tree fell in front of me,
 and I didn't hear it."

akers@oliven.UUCP (Rob Akers) (11/11/85)

> We have a user who, due to a severe illness, can only use a single finger
> to type.  This means this person cannot execute ALT and CTRL sequences
> necessary to use many IBM PC based application programs.  If you have or know
> of a resident program which will intercept the keyboard to allow this user
> to execute such sequences by, for instance, first pressing ALT, releasing it,
> then pressing A to execute ALT-A, please tell me about it.
>
> Thanks in advance...todd
>
> Todd Ogasawara, Computer Sciences Corp.
> NOSC-Hawaii Laboratories
>
> UUCPmail: {akgua,allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!noscvax!ogasawar
> MILNET:   OGASAWAR@NOSC

You might try SUPERKEY from Borland International

6243tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (11/12/85)

> A resident program which will intercept the keyboard to allow this user
> to execute such sequences by, for instance, first pressing ALT, releasing it,
> then pressing A to execute ALT-A, please tell me about it.
>
> Todd Ogasawara, Computer Sciences Corp.
> NOSC-Hawaii Laboratories

what you request was the subject of a PC magazine article (with
source) in a late 1984 issue (exact issue unknown).  It is *not*
offered as part of the PC Interactive Reader's Service (IRS),
reason unknown.

best wishes,
terry

amc543@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/13/85)

Yes indeed; SuperKey from Borland International does EXACTLY that,
i.e. you can press Alt, release it, then press A, and it will be interpreted
as Alt-A.  Besides that, SuperKey does 1.5 zillion other things; it's a
great program all around.

Aaron Contorer
amc543@uiucuxa

ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP (Todd H. Ogasawara) (11/13/85)

In article <88@noscvax.UUCP> ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP (Todd H. Ogasawara) writes:
  [query about program to allow use to type with one finger]
.....============.....

Thank you to those who responded to my question about allowing a person
to type on a PC using only one finger.  It looks like there are at least
two and maybe three solutions.

1. ProKey, a kybd macro program, has a routine for allowing one finger typing
2. SuperKey, also a kybd macro program, allows one finger typing
3. Keytronics may have a special keyboard to allow one finger typing

Thanks again for the help!..todd

frodo@wcom.UUCP (James Scardelis) (11/17/85)

> In article <88@noscvax.UUCP> ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP (Todd H. Ogasawara) writes:
> >We have a user who, due to a severe illness, can only use a single finger
> >to type.  This means this person cannot execute ALT and CTRL sequences
> >necessary to use many IBM PC based application programs.  If you have or know
> >of a resident program which will intercept the keyboard to allow this user
> >to execute such sequences by, for instance, first pressing ALT, releasing it,
> >then pressing A to execute ALT-A, please tell me about it.

	This is available in FANSI-CONSOLE - a replacement for the standard
Ansi.sys driver, that provides *many* other benefits as well, such as faster
screen updating. FANSI-CONSOLE is from Hersey Microcomputing (or maybe Hershey
Computing), and is one of those 'shareware'-type things...it's not really
shareware, but you are on your honor to pay the license fee if you like
the program. You should be able to find it on your local PC bulletin
board, or you can get a disk with it on it for $10 from Hershey.
--
					Jim Scardelis, SA
					{vax135,ihnp4}!wcom!frodo

#include <favorite disclaimer>