[net.micro.pc] WordPerfect for office personnel

dmimi@ecsvax.UUCP (Miriam Clifford) (11/23/85)

Subject: More on WordPerfect for secretaries
Newsgroups: net.micro.pc

When considering a word processing package for use of office personnel,
be careful to get one that will do ALL the jobs you might ultimately
want.  That means, of course, getting one (like WordPerfect) which will
do all the complex word processing functions in a way which is most
convenient to the operator WHO KNOWS THE PROCESSOR.  What the beginner
likes and finds easy and what the experienced person likes and finds
easy are two different things.  A beginner on a word processor (ANY
word processor) will like a feature that ultimately gets in the way
of effective, rapid use.

Therefore, it seems worth while to me, to plan in  training time
rather than settling for the 'easy' wordprocessor.  We might also try to
assume that most, if not all, office personnel are reasonably bright,
and that, given a chance, they can learn to use a computer quite well.
Many seem to me, to fall into fewer 'traps' with new software than I do.

I think the only reason to use an 'easy' word processor, is when there
is high turnover in office staff, so that you are forever training.

{decvax,ihnp4,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!dmimi
Mimi Clifford
2535 Sevier St
Durham, NC 27705