[net.micro.pc] Experience with PC NETWORK

igielski@mmm.UUCP (Tom Igielski) (10/15/85)

I am currently in the market for an IBM PC.  In looking through the Journals,
I notice that there is a supplier called 'PC NETWORK'.  Does anyone have
any direct experience with these people?  Are they reputable?  If the
hardware they supply, completely IBM compatible?  Are there better sources
for purchases.

I would appreciate any responses to these questions from people on the net.
Thanking you in advance....

Tom Igielski
!ihnp4!mmm!igielski

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (10/24/85)

In article <244@mmm.UUCP> igielski@mmm.UUCP (Tom Igielski) writes:
>I am currently in the market for an IBM PC.  In looking through the Journals,
>I notice that there is a supplier called 'PC NETWORK'.  Does anyone have
>any direct experience with these people?  Are they reputable?  If the
>hardware they supply, completely IBM compatible?  Are there better sources
>for purchases.

I am a member of PC-NETWORK, and so far have been quite satisfied.
Although I have not yet bought any major products, I ordered 2 boxes of
disks from them (back when they were $14/box, now they are ~9$), and
they came in a few days. And the greatest part was when I decided to
expand my Compaq Deskpro to 640 from 256. I ordered 512k of 256k chips,
and it came out to * $65 postpaid (incl. credit card surcharge) *. Not
bad... I plan to get a little I/O card (serial, parralel, game, clock,
etc. ) for $69. Right now, hard drives go for $330 (10meg), $420
(20meg), and they are selling the tape backup used in the Deskpro (a
fine machine) for about $450. I am quite satisfied in the comany, and
plan to renew my membership next year. However - I am very dissatisfied
with the game rental stuff - they have not had a single game I've
queried about (AtariSoft, Electronic Arts, and a couple SSI). That I'm
NOT renewing.

has anyone else had any other experiences? Remeber - I ahve not ordered
anything big, but they seem to be nice enough (particularly the person I
talked to wehn ordering the RAM). Well, hope that helps (and maybe
starts up a discussion). --Erik

jmi@ihuxo.UUCP (j. irving) (11/19/85)

> In article <244@mmm.UUCP> igielski@mmm.UUCP (Tom Igielski) writes:
> >I am currently in the market for an IBM PC.  In looking through the Journals,
> >I notice that there is a supplier called 'PC NETWORK'.  Does anyone have
> >any direct experience with these people?  Are they reputable?  If the
> >hardware they supply, completely IBM compatible?  Are there better sources

I am a member of PC NETWORK and have purchased only software.
The discount pricing is true, and I used it to buy Dbase III,
Lotus 123 , and WORD 2.0.  The only negative I have seen so far
is the technical hotline wasn't so hot, I had a problem with dbase
being removed from my hard disk and they were no help.  I ended up
calling Ashton Tate

These opinions are mine and only mine!
			Jeff Irving
			ihnp4!ihuxo!jmi

eckerj@rpics.UUCP (Joe Ecker) (11/24/85)

 I too have recently purchased from PC Network, and will never again do
so. On September 11, I ordered 3 Compaq systems, from about $8000. They
received our check on September 29, and by the middle of October, various
portions of our order had arrived. Unfortunately, things like MSDOS, our
monitors, and serial ports had not arrived. On their recommendation we had
bought the modular Maynard multifuntion card, each with 2 serial modules
and a clock calendar. Since we intended to replace our terminals with
these systems, the serial ports were very important. We received the base
module by the end of October, but not the serial modules themselves. On
November 21, we received notification that within the next 45 days
we would receive our serial ports. This was unacceptable and we decided
to get serial ports elsewhere. They had no problem with cancelling what
we had not yet received, but they charged a 20% restocking fee for
taking back the base boards (which were no good without the serial cards).
No discount is worth waiting 4 months for such a simple thing, especially
from a company that lavishly praises themselves as number 1 in everything,
including speed. What a joke!

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (11/26/85)

Two friends of mine ordered a large amount (over $1000) of software from
PC Network and were very dissatisfied (to put it mildly).  They received
software they had not ordered, did not receive software they did order,
and in one case received (instead of Wordstar 2000, I think) a blank
diskette and an ad!!  (Of course, considering the "warranty" most
software comes with, that's all you can expect anyway ;-)

They called the "customer service" department and got the usual
mail-order two-step runaround.  When they asked for a refund the company
refused to cancel the order.  My friends mentioned the postal regulation
that requires orders to be filled within a certain amount of time, and
PC Network claimed that by shipping an incomplete and wrong order they
had fulfilled their legal obligations.

Anyway, to avoid boring you with more details I'll just note that they
finally did get most of their money back, but they have resolved never
to do business with PC Network again.  In fairness, I have heard of
other people having no problems with them, and any company can make
mistakes.  But with firms around who are willing to correct their
mistakes, why do business with those that won't?
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706